Guarded Terms for Rewriting Modulo SMT
Rewriting modulo SMT is a novel symbolic technique to model and analyze infinite-state systems that interact with a nondeterministic environment. It seamlessly combines rewriting modulo equational theories, SMT solving, and model checking. One of the main challenges of this technique is to cope with the symbolic state-space explosion problem. This paper presents guarded terms, an approach to deal with this problem for rewriting modulo SMT. Guarded terms can encode many symbolic states into one by using SMT constraints as part of the term structure. This approach enables the reduction of the symbolic state space by limiting branching due to concurrent computation, and the complexity and size of constraints by distributing them in the term structure. A case study of an unbounded and symbolic priority queue illustrates the approach.
The first author was supported by the Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (2016R1D1A1B03935275). The second author has been supported in part by the EPIC project funded by the Administrative Department of Science, Technology and Innovation of Colombia (Colciencias) under contract 233-2017.
- 2.Bae, K., Escobar, S., Meseguer, J.: Abstract logical model checking of infinite-state systems using narrowing. In: RTA. LIPIcs, vol. 21, pp. 81–96. Schloss Dagstuhl (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Bae, K., Rocha, C.: A Note on Guarded Terms for Rewriting Modulo SMT, July 2017. http://sevlab.postech.ac.kr/~kmbae/rew-smt
- 7.Caccamo, M., Buttazzo, G., Sha, L.: Capacity sharing for overrun control. In: RTSS, pp. 295–304. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Cadar, C., Dunbar, D., Engler, D.R.: KLEE: unassisted and automatic generation of high-coverage tests for complex systems programs. In: OSDI, pp. 209–224 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Lal, A., Qadeer, S., Lahiri, S.: Corral: a solver for reachability modulo theories. Technical report MSR-TR-2012-9, Microsoft Research, January 2012Google Scholar
- 18.Rocha, C.: Symbolic Reachability Analysis for Rewrite Theories. Ph.D. thesis, University of Illinois, December 2012Google Scholar