Retinal Biomarker Discovery for Dementia in an Elderly Diabetic Population
Dementia is a devastating disease, and has severe implications on affected individuals, their family and wider society. A growing body of literature is studying the association of retinal microvasculature measurement with dementia. We present a pilot study testing the strength of groups of conventional (semantic) and texture-based (non-semantic) measurements extracted from retinal fundus camera images to classify patients with and without dementia. We performed a 500-trial bootstrap analysis with regularized logistic regression on a cohort of 1,742 elderly diabetic individuals (median age 72.2). Age was the strongest predictor for this elderly cohort. Semantic retinal measurements featured in up to 81% of the bootstrap trials, with arterial caliber and optic disk size chosen most often, suggesting that they do complement age when selected together in a classifier. Textural features were able to train classifiers that match the performance of age, suggesting they are potentially a rich source of information for dementia outcome classification.
KeywordsRetina Dementia Microvasculature Classification Biomarkers
This work was supported by EPSRC grant EP/M005976/1 “Multi-modal retinal biomarkers for vascular dementia”.
- 3.McGrory, S., et al.: The application of retinal fundus camera imaging in dementia: a systematic review. Alzheimer’s Dement. 6, 91–107 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Williams, M.A., et al.: Retinal microvascular network attenuation in Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Dement. 1(2), 229–235 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/glm.html. Accessed June 2017
- 9.Cheung, C.Y., et al.: Microvascular network alterations in the retina of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Dement. 10(2), 135–142 (2014). https://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/52640-gray-level-run-length-image-statistics
- 10.Thomson, K.L., et al.: A systematic review and meta-analysis of retinal nerve fiber layer change in dementia, using optical coherence tomography. Alzheimer’s Dement. Diagn. Assess. Dis. Monit. 1(2), 136–143 (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.MacGillivray, T.J., et al.: VAMPIRE: Vessel Assessment and Measurement Platform for Images of the Retina. Human Eye Imaging and Modeling. CRC Press, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Trucco, E., et al.: Novel VAMPIRE algorithms for quantitative analysis of the retinal vasculature. In: Proceedings from the 4th IEEE Biosignals and Biorobotics Conference (ISSNIP/BRC), pp. 1–4 (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Cameron, J.R., et al.: Lateral thinking: inter-ocular symmetry and asymmetry in neurovascular patterning, in health and disease. Progress in Retinal Eye Research, April 2017, epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2017.04.003
- 22.https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/caret/caret.pdf. Accessed June 2017