Conjunctions of Among Constraints
Many existing global constraints can be encoded as a conjunction of among constraints. An among constraint holds if the number of the variables in its scope whose value belongs to a prespecified set, which we call its range, is within some given bounds. It is known that domain filtering algorithms can benefit from reasoning about the interaction of among constraints so that values can be filtered out taking into consideration several among constraints simultaneously. The present paper embarks into a systematic investigation on the circumstances under which it is possible to obtain efficient and complete domain filtering algorithms for conjunctions of among constraints. We start by observing that restrictions on both the scope and the range of the among constraints are necessary to obtain meaningful results. Then, we derive a domain flow-based filtering algorithm and present several applications. In particular, it is shown that the algorithm unifies and generalizes several previous existing results.
The author would like to thank the anonymous referees for many useful comments. This work was supported by the MEIC under grant TIN2016-76573-C2-1-P and the MECD under grant PRX16/00266.
- 4.Bacchus, F., Walsh, T.: Propagating logical combinations of constraints. In: Proceedings of IJCAI 2005, pp. 35–40 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Bessiere, C., Hebrard, E., Hnich, B., Kiziltan, Z., Toby Walsh, S.: A useful special case of the CARDPATH constraint. In: Proceedings of ECAI 2008, pp. 475–479 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Bessiere, C., Katsirelos, G., Narodytska, N., Quimper, C.-G., Walsh, T.: Propagating conjunctions of alldifferent constraints. In: Proceedings of AAAI 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Dalmau, V.: Conjunctions of among constraints. Technical report, eprint arXiv:1706.05059 (2017)
- 22.Oplobedu, A., Marcovitch, J., Toubier, Y.: CHARME: Un langage industriel de programmation par contraintes, illustré par une application chez renault. In: Proceedings of 9th International Workshop on Expert Systems and their Applications, pp. 55–70 (1989)Google Scholar
- 25.Régin, J.-C.: A filtering algorithm for constraints of difference in CSPs. In: Proceedings of AAAI 1994, pp. 362–367 (1994)Google Scholar
- 26.Régin, J.-C.: Generalized arc consistency for global cardinality constraint. In: Proceedings of AAAI 1996, pp. 209–215 (1996)Google Scholar
- 28.Régin, J.-C., Gomes, C.P.: The cardinality matrix constraint. In: Proceedings of CP 2004, pp. 572–587 (2004)Google Scholar