The Crowd–Entrepreneur Relationship in Start-Up Financing
This chapter discusses the crowd–entrepreneur relationship as an important foundation for crowdfunding success. We present community benefits enjoyed by the crowd as crucial in shaping the entrepreneur’s choice between different business models (crowdfunding vs. crowdinvesting). Then, in the crowdinvesting context, we show that this crowd–entrepreneur relationship is plagued by persistent asymmetric information problems of hidden information and hidden action, which undermine financing decisions and campaign outcomes. We highlight how entrepreneurs can address these problems by taking sophisticated investors or a syndicate of investors on board.
- Agrawal, Ajay, Christian Catalini, and Avi Goldfarb. 2014. Some Simple Economics of Crowdfunding. Innovation Policy and the Economy 14: 63–97.Google Scholar
- Belleflamme, Paul, and Thomas Lambert. 2014. Crowdfunding: Some Empirical Findings and Microeconomic Underpinnings. Revue Bancaire et Financière 4: 288–296.Google Scholar
- Belleflamme, Paul, and Martin Peitz. 2015. Industrial Organization: Markets and Strategies. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Block, Jörn, Lars Hornuf, and Alexandra Moritz. 2017. Which Updates During an Equity Crowdfunding Campaign Increase Crowd Participation? Small Business Economics. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11187-017-9876-4. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Chemla, Gilles, and Katrin Tinn. 2016. Learning Through Crowdfunding. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2804541. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Cumming, Douglas, Gaël Leboeuf, and Armin Schwienbacher. 2015. Crowdfunding Models: Keep-It-All Versus All-Or-Nothing. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2447567. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Cumming, Douglas, and Yelin Zhang. 2016. Are Crowdfunding Platforms Active and Effective Intermediaries? Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2882026. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Ellman, Matthew, and Sjaak Hurkens. 2015. Optimal Crowdfunding Design. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2507457. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Hildebrand, Thomas, Manju Puri, and Jörg Rocholl. 2016. Adverse Incentives in Crowdfunding. Management Science63: 587–608.Google Scholar
- Hornuf, Lars, and Matthias Schmitt. 2016. Success and Failure in Equity Crowdfunding. CESifo DICE Report 14: 16–22.Google Scholar
- Hornuf, Lars, and Armin Schwienbacher. 2017. Market Mechanisms and Funding Dynamics in Equity Crowdfunding. Journal of Corporate Finance. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929119916302450. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Iyer, Rajkamal, Asim Ijaz Khwaja, Erzo F.P. Luttmer, and Kelly Shue. 2016. Screening Peers Softly: Inferring the Quality of Small Borrowers. Management Science 62: 1554–1577.Google Scholar
- Kerr, William R., Josh Lerner, and Antoinette Schoar. 2014. The Consequences of Entrepreneurial Finance: Evidence from Angel Financings. The Review of Financial Studies 27: 20–55.Google Scholar
- Kumar, Praveen, Nisan Langberg, and David Zvilichovsky. 2016. (Crowd)Funding Innovation: Financing, Constraints, Price Discrimination and Welfare. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2600923. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Li, Emma, and J. Spencer Martin. 2016. Capital Formation and Financial Intermediation: The Role of Entrepreneur Reputation Formation. Journal of Corporate Finance. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929119916300487. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Ralcheva, Aleksandrina, and Peter Roosenboom. 2016. On the Road to Success in Equity Crowdfunding. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2727742. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Signori, Andrea, and Silvio Vismara. 2016. Returns on Investments in Equity Crowdfunding. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2765488. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Vismara, Silvio. 2016. Information Cascades among Investors in Equity Crowdfunding. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/etap.12261/full. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.