Microservices in a Small Development Organization
- 1.7k Downloads
Microservice architectures promise high flexibility and sustainability in system development. Multiple principles have emerged for the successful adoption of microservices, principles which impact not only the technical but also the organizational levels of a development organization. This paper reports our experiences introducing microservices in a company with a small development organization and a customer-solution-oriented business model. Our experiences show that the company can benefit from using microservices on a technical level but requires adaptations at the organizational level.
KeywordsMicroservices Microservice architecture Small development organization Microservice principles Services Service-oriented architecture
The research reported in this paper was supported by the Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology, the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy, and the Province of Upper Austria in the frame of the COMET center SCCH.
- 2.Calçado, P.: Building products at soundcloud–part III: Microservices in scala and finagle (2014). https://developers.soundcloud.com/blog/building-products-at-soundcloud-part-3-microservices-in-scala-and-finagle. Accessed 10 April 2017
- 3.Dehghani, Z.: Real world microservices - lessons from the frontline (2014). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsoovFbpAoE. Accessed 10 April 2017
- 4.Di Francesco, P., Malavolta, I., Lago, P.: Research on architecting microservices: Trends, focus, and potential for industrial adoption. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Software Architecture (ICSA) (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Giamas, A.: From monolith to microservices, zalando’s journey (2016). http://www.infoq.com/news/2016/02/Monolith-Microservices-Zalando. Accessed 10 April 2017
- 6.Goldsmith, K.: Microservices @ spotify (2015). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGPeBgNFuU. Accessed 10 April 2017
- 9.Lewis, J., Fowler, M.: Microservices - a definition of this new architectural term (2014). http://martinfowler.com/articles/microservices.html. Accessed 10 April 2017
- 10.Newman, S.: Building Microservices. O’Reilly Media Inc., Sebastopol (2015)Google Scholar