Nord Pool Ontology to Enhance Electricity Markets Simulation in MASCEM
This paper proposes the use of ontologies to enable information and knowledge exchange, to test different electricity market models and to allow players from different systems to interact in common market environments. Multi-agent based software is particularly well fitted to analyse dynamic and adaptive systems with complex interactions among its constituents, such as the complex and dynamic electricity markets. The main drivers are the markets’ restructuring and evolution into regional and continental scales, along with the constant changes brought by the increasing necessity for an adequate integration of renewable energy sources. An ontology to represent the concepts related to the Nord Pool Elspot market is proposed. It is validated through a case study considering the simulation of Elspot market. Results show that heterogeneous agents are able to effectively participate in the simulation by using the proposed ontologies to support their communications with the Nord Pool market operator.
KeywordsElectricity markets Multi-agent simulation Nord Pool Elspot market Semantic interoperability
This work has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement No. 641794 (project DREAM-GO) and from FEDER Funds through COMPETE program and from National Funds through FCT under the project UID/EEA/00760/2013.
- 9.Alvarado-Pérez, J.C., Peluffo-Ordóñez, D.H., Therón, R.: Bridging the gap between human knowledge and machine learning. Adv. Distrib. Comput. Artif. Intell. J. 4(1) (2015). Salamanca University Press JournalGoogle Scholar
- 10.Frikha, M., Mhiri, M., Gargour, F.: A semantic social recommender system using ontologies based approach for tunisian tourism. Adv. Distrib. Comput. Artif. Intell. J. 4(1) (2015). Salamanca University Press JournalGoogle Scholar
- 11.Santos, G., Pinto, T., Vale, Z., Praça, I., Morais, H.: Enabling communications in heterogeneous multi-agent systems: electricity markets ontology. Adv. Distrib. Comput. Artif. Intell. J. (ADCAIJ) 5(2) (2016). Salamanca University Press JournalGoogle Scholar
- 13.Nord Pool Spot - Trading, Day-ahead market Elspot (2017). http://www.nordpoolspot.com/TAS/Day-ahead-market-Elspot/. Accessed Apr 2016
- 14.Fernandes, R., Santos, G., Praça, I., Pinto, T., Morais, H., Pereira, I.F., Vale, Z.: Elspot: nord pool spot integration in MASCEM electricity market simulator. In: Corchado, J.M., et al. (eds.) PAAMS 2014. CCIS, vol. 430, pp. 262–272. Springer, Cham (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-07767-3_24CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Teixeira, B., Silva, F., Pinto, T., Praça, I., Santos, G., Vale Z.: Data mining approach to support the generation of realistic scenarios for multi-agent simulation of electricity markets. In: 2014 IEEE Symposium on Intelligent Agents (IA) at the IEEE SSCI 2014. IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 9–12, December 2014Google Scholar
- 16.Pereira, I.F., Sousa, T.M., Praça, I., Freitas, A., Pinto, T., Vale, Z., Morais, H.: Data extraction tool to analyse, transform and store real data from electricity markets. In: Omatu, S., Bersini, H., Corchado, J.M., Rodríguez, S., Pawlewski, P., Bucciarelli, E. (eds.) Distributed Computing and Artificial Intelligence, 11th International Conference. AISC, vol. 290, pp. 387–395. Springer, Cham (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-07593-8_45CrossRefGoogle Scholar