Multiclassifier System Using Class and Interclass Competence of Base Classifiers Applied to the Recognition of Grasping Movements in the Control of Bioprosthetic Hand
In this paper the problem of recognition of patient’s intent to move hand prosthesis is addressed. The proposed method is based on recognition of electromyographic (EMG) and mechanomyographic (MMG) biosignals using a multiclassifier (MC) system working with dynamic ensemble selection scheme and original concept of competence measure. The concept focuses on developing competence and interclass cross- competence measures which can be applied as a method for classifiers combination. The cross-competence measure allows an ensemble to harness information obtained from incompetent classifiers instead of removing them from the ensemble. The performance of MC system with proposed competence measure was experimentally compared against six state-of-the-art classification methods using real data concerning the recognition of six types of grasping movements. The system developed achieved the highest classification accuracies demonstrating the potential of MC system for the control of bioprosthetic hand.
KeywordsBioprosthesis EMG signal MMG signal Multiclassifier system Competence measure
This work was supported by the statutory funds of the Dept. of Systems and Computer Networks, Wroclaw Univ. of Technology.
- 4.De Luca, C.: Electromyography. In: Webster, J.G. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Medical Devices and Instrumentation, pp. 98–109. Wiley, Hoboken (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Kakoty, M., Hazarika, S.: Towards electromyogram-based grasps classification. Int. J. Biomech. Biomed. Robot. 3(2), 63–73 (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Khushaba, R.: Application of biosignal-driven intelligent systems for multifunction prosthesis control. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, University of Technology, Sydney (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Kurzynski, M.: On a two-level multiclassifier system with error correction applied to the control of bioprosthetic hand. In: Proceedings of the 14th World Congress of Medical Informatics MEDINFO, p. 210 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Kurzynski, M., Wolczowski, A.: Multiclassifier system with fuzzy inference method applied to the recognition of biosignals in the control of bioprosthetic hand. In: Zeng, Z., Li, Y., King, I. (eds.) ISNN 2014. LNCS, vol. 8866, pp. 469–478. Springer, Cham (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-12436-0_52 Google Scholar
- 28.Woloszynski, T.: Matlab Central File Enchange (2010). http://www.mathwork.com/matlabcentral/fileenchange/28391-classifier-competence-based-on-probabilistic-modeling