Delirium Prevention: Update on Multidisciplinary, Non-drug Prevention of Delirium Among Hospitalized Elderly
Delirium is a common complication of hospitalized elderly (Inouye et al. 2014). The risk factors for delirium are well understood by hospital care providers (Lee et al. 2013; Cohen and Klein 1958). The focus here will be on non-pharmacological interventions to prevent delirium in non-ICU medical patients for the following reasons: First, the largest patient population is in the general medical wards. Second, the complexity of multicomponent interventions (MCIs) makes them hard to measure since there are many moving parts and disciplines that are not focused on individual clinicians and which vary somewhat from study to study. Lastly, the data from different meta-analyses are not in agreement. Thus, the purpose of this paper is to help clinicians to conceptualize delirium based on risk factors for delirium and the basic principles of MCIs in a way that helps them as an individual clinician “do” their part of the MCI within a supportive hospital system (Bergmann 2005; Clegg et al. 2014).
- Albrecht JS, Marcantonio ER, Roffey DM, Orwig D, Magaziner J, Terrin M, Carson JL, Barr E, Brown JP, Gentry EG, Gruber-Baldini AL (2015) Functional outcomes in cardiovascular patients undergoing surgical hip fracture repair cognitive ancillary study investigators. Stability of postoperative delirium psychomotor subtypes in individuals with hip fracture. J Am Geriatr Soc 63:970–976CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Clegg A, Siddiqui N, Heaven A et al (2014) Interventions for preventing delirium in older people in institutional long term care. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. (1)CD009537Google Scholar
- Cohen S, Klein HK (1958) The delirious patient. Am J Nursing 58:685–687Google Scholar
- Counsell SR, Holder CM, Liebenauer LL et al (2000) Effects of a multicomponent intervention on functional outcomes and process of care in hospitalized older patients. A randomized, controlled trial of Acute Care for Elders (ACE) in a community hospital. J Am Geriatr Soc 48:1572–1581CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Siddiqui N, Harrison JK, Clegg A et al (2007) Interventions for preventing delirium in hospitalized non-ICU patients (Review) Update of Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (2)CD005563. PMID 17443600, (2016)Google Scholar
- Watne LO, Torbergsen AC, Conroy S, Engedal K, Frihagen F, Hjorthaug GA, Juliebo V, Raeder J, Saltvedt I, Skovlund E, Wyller TB (2014) The effect of a pre- and post-operative orthogeriatric service on cognitive function in patients with hip fracture: randomized controlled trial (Oslo Orthogeriatric Trial). BMC Med 12:63CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar