Sustainability of Gender Budgeting in Local Administrations in Turkey: An Assessment from the Well-Being Perspective
This chapter follows up on research on Well-Being Gender Budget audits carried out in a selected number of municipalities in Turkey in 2013 and explores the sustainability of gender budgeting practices since then. The chapter traces the evidence of gender sensitivity in a limited number of municipal administrative bodies, strategies and activities that surfaced in strategic plans and performance programmes. A comparative analysis of findings identifies conditions for sustainability of the gender budgeting framework in local administrations in Turkey. Similarities and differences between the municipality budgets and programmes will also contribute to discussions in the academic and practitioner circles concerned with institutionalisation of gender budgeting worldwide.
- Addabbo, Tindara. 2016. Gender Budgeting in the Capability Approach: From Theory to Evidence. In Feminist Economics and Public Policy: Reflections on the Work and Impact of Ailsa McKay, ed. Jim Campbell and Morag Gillespie, 54–60. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cebollada-Frontera, Ángel, and Carme Miralles-Guasch. 2006. Mobility and Urban Transport in Metropolitan Barcelona: Accessibility Versus Exclusion. In Multicultures and Cities, ed. Gösta Arvastson and Tim Butler, 19–29. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press and University of Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Chakraborty, Lekha. 2016. Asia: A Survey of Gender Budgeting Efforts. IMF Working Paper WP/16/150 (Washington, DC: IMF). http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2016/wp16150.pdf. Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
- Christie, Tamoya A. L., and Dhanaraj Thakur. 2016. Caribbean and Pacific Islands: A Survey of Gender Budgeting Efforts. IMF Working Paper WP/16/154 (Washington, DC: IMF). http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2016/wp16154.pdf. Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
- Gunluk-Senesen, Gulay. 2016. In Search of a Gender Budget with ‘Actual Allocation of Public Monies’: A Well-Being Gender Budget Exercise. In Feminist Economics and Public Policy: Reflections on the Work and Impact of Ailsa McKay, ed. Jim Campbell and Morag Gillespie, 61–70. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Gunluk-Senesen, Gulay; Nuray Ergunes, Aysegul Yakar Onal, Burcu Yakut-Cakar, Yelda Yucel. 2014. Kamu Politikaları, Yerel Yönetimler, Toplumsal Cinsiyete Duyarlı Bütçeleme: Kadın Dostu Kentler, Türkiye Örneği (Public Policies, Local Governments, Gender Budgeting: Women Friendly Cities, Case of Turkey). Report of the Project 1001 SOBAG 112K481 funded by TUBITAK, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey.Google Scholar
- Gunluk-Senesen, Gulay, Yelda Yucel, Aysegul Yakar-Onal, Burcu Yakut-Cakar, and Nuray Ergunes. 2015. Gender Budgeting in Turkey: An Assessment of Local Practices from the Well-Being Perspective. Politica Economica/Journal of Economic Policy 31 (2): 175–194. https://doi.org/10.1429/80932.Google Scholar
- Kars Municipality. 2017. Performance Programs and Strategic Plans (various years, in Turkish). http://www.kars.bel.tr/. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Miralles-Guasch, Carme. 2006. Transport and Accessibility. In Urbanism and Gender: A Necessary Vision for All, Institut d’Edicions de la Diputació de Barcelona Report, 49–52. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daphne_Spain/publication/235262750_Gendered_spaces_and_the_public_realm/links/53da44d40cf2631430c80906.pdf#page=42. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Nevşehir Municipality. 2017. Performance Programs and Strategic Plans (various years, in Turkish). http://www.nevsehir.bel.tr/. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Quinn, Sheila. 2016. Europe: A Survey of Gender Budgeting Efforts. International Monetary Fund Working Paper WP/16/155 (Washington, DC: IMF). http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2016/wp16155.pdf. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Republic of Turkey. 2014. The Tenth Development Plan, 2014–2018. http://www.mod.gov.tr/Lists/DevelopmentPlans/Attachments/5/The%20Tenth%20Development%20Plan%20(2014-2018).pdf. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Şanlıurfa Metropolitan Municipality. 2017. Performance Programs and Strategic Plans (various years, in Turkish). http://www.sanliurfa.bel.tr/. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Sen, Amartya. 1985. Commodities and Capabilities. Amsterdam: North-Holland.Google Scholar
- ———. 1999. Development as Freedom. New York City: Alfred A. Knopf.Google Scholar
- Stotsky, Janet G. 2016. Gender Budgeting: Fiscal Context and Overview of Current Outcomes. International Monetary Fund Working Paper WP/16/149 (Washington, DC: IMF). https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2016/wp16149.pdf . Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- Stotsky, Janet G., Lisa Kolovich, and Suhaib Kebhaj. 2016. Sub-Saharan Africa: A Survey of Gender Budgeting Efforts. International Monetary Fund Working Paper WP/16/152 (Washington, DC: IMF). http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2016/wp16152.pdf. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
- UNJP (United Nations Joint Programme). 2012. Promoting the Human Rights of Women. http://www.tr.undp.org/content/turkey/en/home/operations/projects/democratic_governance/UN_joint_program_for_promoting_the_human_rights_of_women.html. Accessed 27 Apr 2017.