Korean Women Leaders in the Government Sector
The purpose of Chapter 10 is to examine the status of Korean women leaders in government, to discuss existing support systems for them, and to identify areas for improvement in women’s leadership in the Korean government sector. Policies for women leaders in government are reviewed and also explored is the current situation of women leaders in government. The status of woman-friendly government initiatives is reviewed and categorized into the following four types: women’s leadership training and development, flexible work arrangements, gender equality policies, and childcare services. The literature and government reports are looked at and four government officials were interviewed to determine the current situation and future plans for women leaders in the government sector.
- Jang, H., & Park, Y. (2015). 농업연구직 공무원의 유연근무제 활성화를 위한 탐색적 연구 [Study for flexible work arrangements for government officials in agricultural research]. Journal of Korean Policy Studies, 15(2), 49–72. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Jin, J., & Oh, S. (2009). 여성의 공직진출확대에 따른 여성공무원의 능력발전방안 연구 [A study of a plan for the development of the capability of women public employees since the increase in the number of women civil servants]. Korean Journal of Public Policy, 47(4), 137–162. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Joo, J. S., Kim, Y. R., & Kim, N. J. (2015). 2015 년 여성의 사회적 지위향상 점검지표 분석 [Analysis of indicators for improvement of women’s social status in 2015] (Report No. 5). Korean Women’s Development Institute. Retrieved from http://www.kwdi.re.kr/reportView.kw;KWDI_KOR=991ED20E225967E60CBE05BBEABD4CB2.WORKER_KOR_KWDI?sgrp=S01&siteCmsCd=CM0001&topCmsCd=CM0002&cmsCd=CM0004&ntNo=1134. (in Korean).
- Kim, Y. S. (2014, January 23). 건국 이래 최초 여성 검사장 조희진 서울고검 차장검사…“‘검찰 맏언니’라는 호칭, 내 마음엔 들지 않아요” [The first women director of the Prosecutors’ Office Heejin Cho]. Herald Economics. Retrieved from http://news.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=20140122000574&md=20140125004631_BL. (in Korean).
- Korean National Policy Agency. (2016). 경찰관서 22개소 직장어린이집 본격 운영 [Childcare centers in police station across the country]. Retrieved from www.police.go.kr/portal/bbs/view.do?bbsId=B0000011&nttId=18739&menuNo=200067. (in Korean).
- Korean Women’s Development Institute. (2015). 성인지통계 [Gender statistics in Korea]. Retrieved from https://gsis.kwdi.re.kr/gsis/kr/main.html. (in Korean).
- Lee, J., & Oh, S. (2014). 공직자 유연근무제에 대한 인식 및 활성화 영향 요인 탐색: 진주시를 중심으로 [An analysis on recognition of public officials for a flexible work system: Focusing on Jin-ju City]. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 18(1), 315–336. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Lee, Y. A., Kang, J. S., & Lee, H. J. (2010). 여성친화적 인사정책이 직무동기 및 조직몰입에 미치는 영향: 중앙행정기관 여성공무원들의 인식을 중심으로 [The effects of women-friendly personnel policies on job motivation and organizational commitment: With focus on the central government women officials’ perceptions]. Korean Policy Sciences Review, 14(4), 173–194. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. (2014). 유리천장을 깬 여성 1호: 그들이 들려주고 싶은 이야기 [Women leaders breaking glass ceiling: Their stories] (Report). Retrieved from http://www.mogef.go.kr/mp/pcd/mp_pcd_s001d.do?mid=plc500. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. (2015). 관리직 여성 공무원 확대 [Expansion of women leader in government]. Retrieved from http://www.mogef.go.kr/eng/policy/index06_01.jsp. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Interior. (2015). 지방공무원 균형인사 운영지침 [Guideline for gender equality policy in local governments]. Retrieved from www.law.go.kr/flDownload.do?flSeq=11993075. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Interior. (2017). 스마트워크센터 [Smart work center]. Retrieved from https://www.smartwork.go.kr/swc/SwcMainHome.do. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Personnel Management. (2015). 통계연보 [Statistics annual report]. Retrieved from https://www.moi.go.kr/frt/bbs/type001/commonSelectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000013&nttId=55657. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Public Administration and Security. (2012). 유연근무제 운영지침 [Guidelines of flexible work arrangement]. Retrieved from www.law.go.kr/flDownload.do?flSeq=9138523. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security. (2015). 세종시 이전 추진 안내 [Relocation of government office to Sejong City]. Retrieved from http://www.mpss.go.kr/home/mpssIntro/relocationInfo/summary/. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Security and Public Administration. (2013). 중앙부처 유연근무제 이용 현황 [Utilization of flexible work arrangements at the central government in Korea]. Retrieved from http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp. (in Korean).
- Moon, M., Kim, S., & Choi, M. (2016). 공직내 여성관리자 육성을 위한 인사관리 방안 연구 [A study on human resources management to develop female managers in government sector] (Report No. 13). Korean Women’s Development Institute. Retrieved from http://www.kwdi.re.kr/subjectView.kw?sgrp=S01&siteCmsCd=CM0001&topCmsCd=CM0003&cmsCd=CM0022&ntNo=749. (in Korean).
- Moon, M. K., Kim, B. T., Jeong, S. Y., & Ryu, D. A. (2013). 한국의 적극적 평등실현조치(Affirmative action)에 관한 연구 [Affirmative action in Korea] (Report No. 23). Korean Women’s Development Institute. Retrieved from http://www.kwdi.re.kr/subjectView.kw?sgrp=S01&siteCmsCd=CM0001&topCmsCd=CM0003&cmsCd=CM0022&ntNo=749. (in Korean).
- National Human Resources Development Institute. (2016). Training programs. Retrieved from http://eng.nhi.go.kr/Programs/Programs.htm
- Park, Y., & Lee, Y. (2011). 지방자치단체 여성팀장 공무원의 리더십 역량 연구 [A study on the leadership competency of women public officers in local governments]. The Korean Local Administration Review, 25(3), 213–238. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Scandura, T. A., & Lankau, M. J. (1997). Relationships of gender, family responsibility and flexible work hours to organizational commitment and job satisfaction. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 18(4), 377–391. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199707)18:4<377::AID-JOB807>3.0.CO;2-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Won, S. Y. (2012). 공직 내 여성관리자의 현실: 여성을 둘러싼 제약-기회-선택의 역학을 찾아서 [The reality of women manager in government: Focusing on dynamics among constraints-opportunities-choice]. Journal of Korean Women’s Studies, 28(2), 75–107. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Yoon, G. (2014). 여성공무원의 경력패턴과 프로틴 경력태도가 주관적 경력성공에 미치는 영향 육아휴직경험의 조절효과 [The impact of women government officials’ career patterns and protean career attitudes on subjective career satisfaction: The moderating effect of childcare leave experiences]. Korean Public Personnel Administration Review, 13(2), 39–62. (in Korean).Google Scholar