Erehwon: A Digital Platform for Empowering Sociopolitical Interventions in Public Space
- 147 Downloads
In this chapter we introduce Erewhon, a work-in-progress practice-led research project that aims to create a digital commons space and platform for connecting and supporting communities of people who initiate sociopolitical interventions in public space. The platform consists of an interactive cartography of these types of projects, co-designed through a series of workshops with different communities of interest in a way that offers to their projects different forms of visibility. It also allows the viewer to trace, in the visualization, a project’s progress, its contaminations, size, collaborations, and duration, and its interconnections with the other projects. This chapter describes our theoretical framework, discusses our research and design methodology, and presents and reflects on the outcomes of the practical research.
The authors would like to thank the Queen Mary University of London Humanities and Social Sciences Collaboration fund for funding part of this research; the Osso Cultural Association and Stress.fm for providing spaces, publicity, and technical assistance throughout the project; the Lisbon Architecture Triennale for hosting the workshop in Lisbon; Creativeworks London; and all the other people that have contributed to the project so far. Many thanks go to all the workshop participants for their useful insights and enthusiasm, to the radio talk invitees, and to the developers of the alpha prototype of the platform.
- Bitmind. 2016. http://www.bitmind.co/.
- Butler, Judith. 2011. Bodies in Alliance and the Politics of the Street. Eipcp, Sept. http://www.eipcp.net/transversal/1011/butler/en.
- Civic Makers. 2016. https://app.civicmakers.com/.
- Colony. 2016. https://colony.io/.
- Comakery. 2016. https://www.comakery.com/.
- D3. 2016. https://d3js.org.
- D-Cent. 2016a. http://dcentproject.eu/.
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Felix Guattari. 1987. A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Democracy.earth. 2016. http://democracy.earth/.
- Derrida, Jacques. 1995. Archive Fever: A Freudian Impression, trans. Eric Prenowitz. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Dima, Mariza, and Beatriz Cantinho. 2014. Erehwon: For a Cartography of Change. In Proceedings of Performart 2014. Istanbul: Dakam.Google Scholar
- EEC (Eclectic Electric Collective). 2017. http://www.toolsforaction.net/.
- Gothelf, Jeff. 2013. Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience. Beijing: O’Reilly.Google Scholar
- Jameson, Fredric. 1992. The Geopolitical Aesthetic: Cinema and Space in the World System. Indianapolis: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Loomio. 2016. https://www.loomio.org/.
- Metamaps. 2016. https://metamaps.cc/.
- Metzger, Jonathan, Philip Allmendinger, and Stijn Oosterlynck. 2015. Planning against the Political: Democratic Deficits in European Territorial Governance. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- MightyBell. 2016. https://mightybell.com/home.
- Mobilize. 2016. https://mobilize.io/.
- Mouffe, Chantal. 2005. On the Political. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Nancy, Jean-Luc. 1991. The Inoperative Community. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- P2PValue project. 2016. https://p2pvalue.eu/.
- Public Movement. 2016. http://www.publicmovement.org/.
- Rancière, Jacques. 2004. The Politics of Aesthetics: The Distribution of the Sensible, trans. Gabriel Rockhill. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. Dissensus: On Politics and Aesthetics. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Schechner, Richard. 1988. Performance Theory. New York and London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- StressFM. 2016. http://stress.fm/post/143446657254/erehwon1.
- Taylor, D.R. Fraser, ed. 2006. Cybercartography: Theory and Practice. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Toscano, Alberto, and Jeff Kinkle. 2015. Cartographies of the Absolute. Winchester: Zero Books.Google Scholar
- Vujanović, Ana. 2011. Vita Performactiva. http://www.anavujanovic.info/#!/2012/01/vitaperformactivaonthestageofneoliberalcapitalistdemocraticsociety/.
- Woo, H.R. 2008. A Holistic Experiential Approach to Design Innovation. Archives of Design Research 21 (2): 167–180.Google Scholar