The Role of CSR Communication in Master’s Degree Curricula Throughout Europe: Universities’ Roles as Digital Communities in Preparing Students for Future Challenges
Concerns for social and environmental engagements on behalf of businesses are on the rise globally; as a result, the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has evolved from an obligation (‘doing good to look good’) to a strategy (‘doing well and doing good’) (Nussbaum 2009). Moreover, CSR communication has to be made part of companies’ strategy Hence, skills related to their proper handling in the digital work- and marketplace need to be imparted by educational institutions. Universities are herein perceived as digital communities as they increasingly connect with their stakeholders via the Internet, where they also distribute information on their academic programs. The study at hand is concerned with analyzing the extent to which post-secondary educational institutions in 22 countries have started to integrate aspects of social and environmental communication into their Master’s degree programs. Online content of programs from various academic disciplines and subject areas was investigated by use of a qualitative analysis. The study of CSR (communication) outlined herein attempts to carve out the current status of CSR in education across national borders before offering suggestions for future development to universities in their roles as digital communities.
KeywordsCSR Sustainability CSR communication University education International comparison
- Ben-Peretz, Miriam. 1990. The Teacher-curriculum Encounter: Freeing Teachers from the Tyranny of Texts. Albany: State University New York Press.Google Scholar
- Bernstein, Basil B. 2000. Pedagogy, Symbolic Control and Identity. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Business Dictionary. Responsibility. http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/responsibility.html. Accessed 15 Jan 2016.
- Business Dictionary. Corporate Citizenship. http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/corporate-citizenship.html#ixzz3xFM2iiOT. Accessed 15 Jan 2016.
- Christensen, Lisa Jones, Ellen Peirce, Laura P. Hartman, W. Michael Hoffman, and Jamie Carrier. 2007. Ethics, CSR, and Sustainability Education in the Financial Times Top 50 Global Business Schools: Baseline Data and Future Research Directions. Journal of Business Ethics 73: 347–368.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Curtin University. Full Time or Part Time. http://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/ways-study/full-part-time/. Accessed 16 June 2017.
- Dictionary. Community. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/community. Accessed 21 June 2017.
- Diehl, Sandra, Matthias Karmasin, Andrea Leopold, and Isabell Koinig. 2013. New Competencies for the Future: How Changes and Trends in Media Convergence Demand New Skills from the Workforce. In Media and Convergence Management, ed. Sandra Diehl and Matthias Karmasin, 353–376. Berlin: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Diehl, Sandra, Matthias Karmasin, Barbara Mueller, Ralf Terlutter, and Franzisca Weder. 2016a. Handbook of Integrated CSR Communication. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Diehl, Sandra, Ralf Terlutter, and Barbara Mueller. 2016b. Doing Good Matters to Consumers: The Effectiveness of Humane-oriented CSR Appeals in Cross-cultural Standardized Advertising Campaigns. International Journal of Advertising 35: 730–757. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/02650487.2015.1077606. Accessed 16 Jan 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Edelman. goodpurpose 2012. http://bschool.nus.edu/Portals/0/images/2012-Edelman-goodpurpose%C2%AE-Study.pdf. Accessed 15 Sept 2015.
- Europe. 2020. Highlights. http://ec.europa.eu/europe2020/index_de.htm. Accessed 8 June 2017.
- European Commission. Definition of Corporate Social Responsibility. http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sustainable-business/corporate-social-responsibility/index_en.htm. Last modified 15 Jan 2008.
- Financial Times. 2015a. Corporate Social Responsibility. http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=corporate-social-responsibility--(CSR). Accessed 15 Nov 2015.
- ———. 2015b. Sustainability. http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=business-sustainability. Accessed 15 Nov 2015.
- ———. 2015c. Corporate Responsibility. http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=corporate-responsibility. Accessed 15 Nov 2015.
- ———. 2015d. Corporate Governance. http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=corporate-governance. Accessed 15 Nov 2015.
- Foskett, Nick. 2010. Global Markets, National Challenges, Local Strategies: The Strategic Challenge of Internationalization. In Globalization and Internationalization in Higher Education, ed. Felix Maringe and Nick Foskett, 35–50. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Gehrke, Nathalie J., Michael S. Knapp, and Kenneth A. Sirotnik. 1992. In Search of the School Curriculum. Review of Research in Education 18: 51–110.Google Scholar
- Gibbons, Michael. Engagement with the Community: The Emergence of a New Social Contract Between Society and Science. Paper Presented at the Griffith University Community Engagement Workshop, Queensland, Australia, March 4, 2005.Google Scholar
- Golob, Ursa, Natasa Verk, Anne Ellerup-Nielsen, Christa Thomsen, Wim J.L. Elving, and Klement Podnar. 2017. The Communicative Stance of CSR: Reflections on the Value of CSR Communication. Corporate Communications: An International Journal 22 (2.) http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1108/CCIJ-03-2017-0019.
- HBS. Corporate Social Responsibility. https://www.exed.hbs.edu/programs/csr/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed 8 June 2017.
- Holmes. 2016. Global Communications Report 2016. http://www.holmesreport.com/ranking-and-data/global-communications-report/2016-research. Accessed 1 May 2017.
- Jarolimek, Stefan. 2014. Being Good, Doing Good... and Telling People How Good You Are. A Definitional Construct as a Basis for Comparative Studies. Social Sciences and Humanities Latvia 22 (2): 14–32.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, Jennifer. 2013. English as a Lingua Franca in the International University. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Karmasin, Matthias, and Franzisca Weder. 2008. Organisationskommunikation und CSR. Neue Herausforderungen an Kommunikationsmanagement und PR. Münster et al.: LIT-Verlag.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011. CSR nachgefragt: Kann man Ethik messen? Die Befragung als Methode der Rekonstruktion von CSR. In Handbuch CSR: Kommunikationswissenschaftliche Grundlagen, disziplinäre Zugänge und methodische Herausforderungen, ed. Juliana Raupp, Stefan Jarolimek, and Friederike Schultz, 463–479. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kuhlen, Beatrix. 2005. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Die ethische Verantwortung von Unternehmen für Ökologie, Ökonomie und Soziales. Baden-Baden: DWV.Google Scholar
- Manteaw, Bob Offei. 2008. When Businesses Go to School: Neoliberalism and Education for Sustainable Development – Opinion Essay. Sage 2 (2): 119–126.Google Scholar
- Reuters. 2009. Internet Most Popular Information Source: Poll. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-media-internet-life-idUSTRE55G4XA20090617. Accessed 21 June 2017.
- Röttger, Ulrike, and Jana Schmitt. 2009. In Bedingungen, Chancen und Risiken der Reputationskonstitution ökonomischer Organisationen durch Corporate Responsibility, ed. Siegfried J. Schmidt and Jörg Tropp, 39–58. Cologne: Halem.Google Scholar
- Russel, John M. 2006. Special Report – Education – The Rise of Ethics Education – Breaking into the Mainstream. http://www.ethicalcorp.com/content/special-report-education-rise-ethics-education-breaking-mainstream. Accessed 12 June 2017.
- Sabczak, Andre, Gervaise Debucquet, and Christelle Harvard. 2006. The Impact of Higher Education on Students’ and Young Managers’ Perception of Companies and Corporate Social Responsibility: An Exploratory Analysis. Corporate Governance: The European Journal for Business in Society 6 (4): 463–474.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sterling, Stephen. 2001. Sustainable Education – Re-visioning Learning and Change. Minnesota: Green Books.Google Scholar
- Tilbury, Daniella, Cathy Crawley, and Berry Fiona. 2004. Education about and for Sustainability in Australian Business Schools. http://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/11a71da6-8fe5-4768-99c3-3e2ff4392452/files/mba.pdf. Accessed 12 June 2017.
- Weder, Franzisca. 2010. Organisationskommunikation und PR. Wien et al.: UTB.Google Scholar
- ———. 2012. Die CSR-Debatte in den Printmedien. Vienna: Facultas.Google Scholar