Distributed One Dimensional Calibration and Localisation of a Camera Sensor Network
Metric calibration and localisation are crucial requirements for many higher-level robotic vision tasks, such as visual navigation and tracking. Furthermore, distributed algorithms are being increasingly used to create scalable camera sensor networks (CSN) which are resistant to node failure. We present a distributed algorithm for the calibration and localisation of a CSN. Our method involves a robust local calibration at each node using a 1D calibration object, consisting of collinear points moving about a single fixed point. Next, each node builds a vision graph and performs cluster-based bundle adjustment, utilising the structure of calibration object to produce pose estimates for its cluster. Finally, these estimates are brought to global consensus through Gaussian belief propagation. Experimental results validate our algorithm, showing that it has comparable performance to centralised algorithms, despite being distributed in nature.
KeywordsCamera calibration Localisation Distributed algorithms Gaussian belief propagation
This research has been conducted with the support of the Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship.
- 4.Bickson, D.: Gaussian belief propagation: Theory and application. arXiv preprint arXiv:0811.2518 (2008)
- 7.Hammarstedt, P., Sturm, P., Heyden, A.: Degenerate cases and closed-form solutions for camera calibration with one-dimensional objects. In: Tenth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, ICCV 2005, vol. 1, pp. 317–324. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Kojima, Y., Fujii, T., Tanimoto, M.: New multiple-camera calibration method for a large number of cameras. In: Electronic Imaging 2005, pp. 156–163. International Society for Optics and Photonics (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, L., Wu, F., Hu, Z.: Multi-camera calibration with one-dimensional object under general motions. In: IEEE 11th International Conference on Computer Vision, ICCV 2007, pp. 1–7. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Devarajan, D., Radke, R.J.: Distributed metric calibration of large camera networks. In: Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Broadband Advanced Sensor Networks, vol. 3(4), pp. 5–24 (2004)Google Scholar
- 19.Devarajan, D., Radke, R.J.: Calibrating distributed camera networks using belief propagation. EURASIP J. Appl. Sig. Process. 2007(1), 221–222 (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Tron, R., Vidal, R.: Distributed image-based 3D localization of camera sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 48th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Held Jointly with the 2009 28th Chinese Control Conference. CDC/CCC 2009, pp. 901–908. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar