E-Government Implementation: Transparency, Accessibility and Usability of Government Websites
In several European countries decentralization has promoted the creation of Regional Governments (RGs) with high levels of competence and responsibilities, such as promoting good governance and sustainability. Information and communication technologies (ICTs), and hence, the adoption of e-government has contributed to the adoption and dissemination of government transparency in a usable and accessible way. In this chapter, we study the transparency, accessibility and usability of websites of Spanish RGs.
As a first step, we want to know if the implementation of e-government has improved transparency about sustainability. In a second step, we want to know if citizens perceive the advantages of the use of governmental websites as a medium of transparency assessing the accessibility and usability of RG’s websites. The results show that the most information disclosed is environmental information. Furthermore, RGs information disclosure is determined by citizens’ perception of accessibility and usability.
- Alcaraz-Quiles, F. J., Navarro-Galera, A., & Ortiz-Rodríguez, D. (2014). A comparative analysis of transparency in sustainability reporting by local and regional governments. Lex Localis - Journal of Self-Government, 12(1), 55–78.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe. (2011). Council Directive 2011/85/EU of 8 November 2011 on requirements for budgetary frameworks of the Member States. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:306:0041:0047:en:PDF
- IGAE. (2013). Avance actuación económica y financiera de las Administraciones Públicas. Madrid: IGAE. Retrieved from http://www.igae.pap.minhap.gob.es/sitios/igae/es-ES/ContabilidadNacional/infadmPublicas/Documents/Informes%20Anuales/Avance_AAPP_2013.pdf.Google Scholar
- International Transparency (IT). (2015). Índice de Transparencia de las CCAA. Retrieved from http://www.transparencia.org.es/
- Katz, J. E., & Rice, R. E. (2002). Social consequences of internet use: Access, involvement, and interaction. London: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Ortiz-Rodríguez, D., Navarro-Galera, A., & Alcaraz-Quiles, F. J. (2015). The influence of administrative culture on sustainability transparency in European local governments. Administration and Society. doi: 10.1177/0095399715616838.
- Osborne, D., & Gaebler, T. (1992). Reinventing government: Go to the entrepreneurial spirit is transforming the public sector. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Rodríguez-Posé, A., di Cataldo, M., & Rainoldi, A. (2014). The role of government institutions for smart specialisation and regional development. Luxembourg: Joint Research Centre.Google Scholar
- Sánchez, J. (2004). Introducción a la Estadística Empresarial. Retrieved from http://www.eumed.net/cursecon/libreria/index.htm
- World Commission. (1987). Report of the world commission on environment and development: Our common future. Retrieved from http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf