Modeling Oxygen Consumption in Germinating Seeds
The consumption of oxygen by a germinating seed is assumed to be a good indicator of seed vitality and can potentially be used to predict the germination time. With the current availability of relatively simple single-seed respiration measurement methods and more oxygen consumption data opportunities emerge for detailed analysis of the underlying mechanisms relating respiration to germination processes. Due to the complex (structural and physiological) nature of seeds experimental analysis alone is very difficult. Mathematical modeling may provide an insight into the relationship between the germination of seeds and respiration. We have approached this problem by considering the population dynamics of mitochondria in seeds subject to limited oxygen supply and present a simple but rigorous and easily testable mathematical model that can handle large amounts of data and is interpretable in terms of the effective biological parameters of the seeds.
- 5.Budko, N., Corbetta, A., van Duijn, B., Hille, S., Krehel, O., Rottschäfer, V., Wiegman, L., Zhelyazov, D.: Oxygen transport and consumption in germinating seeds. In: Proceedings of the 90th European Study Group Mathematics with Industry, Leiden, 28 January–1 February 2013, pp. 5–30Google Scholar
- 7.Carrie, C., Murcha, M.W., Giraud, E., Ng, S., Zhang, M.F., Narsai, R., Whelan, J.: How do plants make mitochondria? Planta (2012). doi:10.1007/s00425-012-1762-3Google Scholar
- 14.Merchant, D.J., Kuchler, R.B., Munyo, W.: Population dynamics in suspension cultures of an animal cell strain. J. Biochem. Microbiol. Technol. Eng. II, 253–266 (1960)Google Scholar
- 15.Van Asbrouck, J., Taridno, P.: Using the single seed oxygen consumption measurement as a method of determination of different seed quality parameters for commercial tomato seed samples. Asian J. Food Agro-Ind. 2, S88–S95 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Van Duijn, A., Koenig, W.: Measuring metabolic rate changes. Patent 2001 EP1134583 (A1) WO0169243 (A1) US2004033575 (A1) CA2403253 (A1) DE60108480TGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wagner, C.: Theorie der Alterung von Niederschlägen durch Umlösen (Ostwald-Reifung). Z. Elektrochem. 65, 581–591 (1961)Google Scholar