Properties of the Conservative Parallel Discrete Event Simulation Algorithm
We address question of synchronisation in parallel discrete event simulation (PDES) algorithms. We study synchronisation in conservative PDES model adding long-range connections between processing elements. We investigate how fraction of the random long-range connections in the synchronisation scheme influences the simulation time profile of PDES. We found that small fraction of random distant connections enhance synchronisation, namely, the width of the local virtual times remains constant with increasing number of processing elements. At the same time the conservative algorithm of PDES on small-world networks remains free from deadlocks. We compare our results with the case-study simulations.
KeywordsParallel discrete event simulation PDES Conservative algorithm Small-world
This work is supported by grant 14-21-00158 of the Russian Science Foundation.
- 1.Bailey, D.H., David, H., Dongarra, J., Gao, G., Hoisie, A., Hollingsworth, J., Jefferson, D., Kamath, C., Malony, A., Quinian, D.: Performance Technologies for Peta-Scale Systems: A White Paper Prepared by the Performance Evaluation Research Center and Collaborators. White paper, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Shchur, L., Shchur, L.: Parallel discrete event simulation as a paradigm for large scale modeling experiments. Selected Papers of the XVII International Conference on Data Analytics and Management in Data Intensive Domains (DAMDID/RCDL 2015), Obninsk, Russia, 13–16 October 2015, pp. 107–113, (2015). http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1536/
- 13.Wilsey, P.A.: Some properties of events executed in discrete-event simulation models. In: Proceedings of the 2016 annual ACM Conference on SIGSIM Principles of Advanced Discrete Simulation, pp. 165–176. ACM, New York (2016). doi: 10.1145/2901378.2901400
- 15.MVAPICH: MPI over InfiniBand, Omni-Path, Ethernet/iWARP, and RoCE. http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu
- 17.Weber, D.: Time warp simulation on multi-core processors and clusters. Master’s thesis, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH (2016)Google Scholar