Method in Madness: A Case Study in Practice Research Methods
To embark on the making of a feature film is sheer madness. Yet some of us cannot help but be driven to engage with this form by adopting creative and managerial methods, routines, processes and discourses that help us navigate our way towards creating some kind of impact. In this chapter, I seek to describe and articulate an example of a film project as research, with a particular emphasis on looking at how documentation and critical reflection form the core methodology of the project. In the madness that is filmmaking, how can methodology and method be employed to provide the basis for rigour in the research enquiry?
- Bresson, R. (1967). Mouchette [Film]. France.Google Scholar
- Ceylan, N. B. (1998). Kasaba [Film]. Turkey.Google Scholar
- Davidson, R. (1983). The Courage to Doubt. London: SCM Press.Google Scholar
- Gallup. http://www.gallup.com/poll/147887/americans-continue-believe-god.aspx. Accessed 30 Aug 2016.
- Guardian Online. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/12/uk-one-of-worlds-least-religious-countries-survey-finds. Accessed 30 Aug 2016.
- HEFCE. (2016). Evaluation of REF 2014. http://www.hefce.ac.uk/rsrch/REFreview/. Accessed 14 Nov 2016.
- Knudsen, E. (1991). One Day Tafo [Film]. UK.Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E. (2010). Zen and the Art of Film Narrative. Journal of Screenwriting, 1(2), 343–355.Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E. (2015a). Eyes and Narrative Perspectives on Story: A Practice Led Exploration of the Use of Eyes and Eye Lines in Fiction Film. Journal of Media Practice, 15(1), 3–20.Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E. (2015b). The Raven on the Jetty [Film]. UK.Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E. (2015c). The Raven on the Jetty [Production Scrapbook and DVD of the Film]. Todmorden: One Day Films.Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E. (2016). The Total Filmmaker: Thinking of Screenwriting, Directing and Editing as One Role. New Writing: The International Journal for the Practice and Theory of Creative Writing, 13(1), 109–129.Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E. (2017). Doubt [Film]. UK.Google Scholar
- One Day Films. onedayfilms.com. Accessed 29 Aug 2016.
- Reed-Danahay, D. E. (Ed.). (1997). Auto/Ethnography: Rewriting the Self and the Social. Oxford: Berg.Google Scholar
- Rouch, J., & Morin, E. (1961). Chronicle of a Summer [Film]. France.Google Scholar
- Silverman, D. (2000). Doing Qualitative Research. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Stein, G. (1992). Sacred Emily in Geography of Plays. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press. Google Scholar
- The Raven on the Jetty. theravenonthejetty.com. Accessed 29 Aug 2016.
- REF. (2014). Research Excellence Framework 2014 Overview Report by Main Panel D and Sub-Panels 27 to 36. REF 2014 was Conducted Jointly by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), the Scottish Funding Council (SFC), the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) and the Department for Employment and Learning, Northern Ireland (DEL), http://www.ref.ac.uk/media/ref/content/expanel/member/Main%20Panel%20D%20overview%20report.pdf. Accessed 29 Aug 2016.
- YouGovUK. https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/02/12/third-british-adults-dont-believe-higher-power/. Accessed 30 Aug 2016.