This chapter will discuss the epidemiology, workup, and management of oropharyngeal cancer, with an emphasis on radiation therapy technique and randomized trial evidence.
KeywordsOropharyngeal cancer Human papilloma virus Radiation therapy Chemoradiotherapy Altered fractionation
We thank Siavash Jabbari MD, Kim Huang MD, and Jeanne Marie Quivey MD, FACR, for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Bourhis J, Sire C, Graff P, et al. Concomitant chemoradiotherapy versus acceleration of radiotherapy with or without concomitant chemotherapy in locally advanced head and neck carcinoma (GORTEC 99-02): an open-label phase 3 randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2012;13(2):145–53.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cooper JS, Zhang Q, Pajak TF, et al. Long-term follow-up of the RTOG 9501/intergroup phase III trial: postoperative concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy in high-risk squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;84(5):1198–205.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fu KK, Pajak TF, Trotti A, et al. A Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) phase III randomized study to compare hyperfractionation and two variants of accelerated fractionation to standard fractionation radiotherapy for head and neck squamous cell carcinomas: first report of RTOG 9003. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000;48:7–16.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Haddad R, O'Neill A, Rabinowits G, et al. Induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy (sequential chemoradiotherapy) versus concurrent chemoradiotherapy alone in locally advanced head and neck cancer (PARADIGM): a randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14(3):257–64.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lorch JH, Goloubeva O, Haddad RI, et al. Induction chemotherapy with cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or in combination with docetaxel in locally advanced squamous-cell cancer of the head and neck: long-term results of the TAX 324 randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2011;12(2):153–9.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Marur S, Li S, Cmelak AJ, et al. E1308: phase II trial of induction chemotherapy followed by reduced-dose radiation and weekly cetuximab in patients with HPV-associated resectable squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx−ECOG-ACRIN cancer research group. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(5):490–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar