This chapter will discuss the epidemiology, workup, staging, treatment recommendations, key studies, and radiation treatment techniques for endometrial cancer.
KeywordsEndometrial cancer Endometrioid cancer Uterine carcinosarcoma Radiation therapy for endometrial cancer
We thank R. Scott Bermudez MD and Kim Huang MD for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Aalders JG, Abeler V, Kolstad P, et al. Postoperative external irradiation and prognostic parameters in stage I endometrial carcinoma: clinical and histopathologic study of 540 patients. Gynecol Oncol. 1980;56:419.Google Scholar
- Cardenes HR, Look K, Michael H, et al. Endometrium. In: Halperin CE, Perez CA, Brady LW, et al., editors. Principles and practice of radiation oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. p. 1610–28.Google Scholar
- Creutzberg CL, Fleming GF. Endometrial Cancer. In: Gunderson LL, Tepper JE, editors. Clinical radiation oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2015. p. 1203–1229.e7.Google Scholar
- Creutzberg CL, van Putten WL, Koper PC, et al. Surgery and postoperative radiotherapy versus surgery alone for patients with stage-1 endometrial carcinoma: multicentre randomised trial. PORTEC study group. Post operative radiation therapy in endometrial carcinoma. Lancet. 2000;355:1404–11.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McMeekin DS, Filiaci VL, Aghajanian C, et al. A randomized phase III trial of pelvic radiation therapy (PXRT) versus vaginal cuff brachytherapy followed by paclitaxel/carboplatin chemotherapy (VCB/C) in patients with high risk (HR), early stage endometrial cancer (EC): a gynecologic oncology group trial. Gynecol Oncol. 2014;134(2):438.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meyer LA, Bohlke K, Powell MA, et al. Postoperative radiation therapy for endometrial cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline endorsement of the American Society for Radiation Oncology evidence-based guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(26):2908–13.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Cancer Institute Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER) (2016). http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/corp.html. Accessed 22 Aug 2016. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Endometrial cancers (Version 2.2016). 2016. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/uterine.pdf. Accessed on 22 Aug 2016.
- Nout RA, van de Poll-Franse LV, Lybeert MLM, et al. Long-term outcome and quality of life of patients with endometrial carcinoma treated with or without pelvic radiotherapy in the post operative radiation therapy in endometrial carcinoma 1 (PORTEC-1) trial. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(13):1692–700.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reed NS, Mangioni C, Malstrom H, et al. Phase III randomized study to evaluate the role of adjuvant pelvic radiotherapy in the treatment of uterine sarcomas stages I and II: an European organization for research and treatment of cancer gynaecological cancer group study (protocol 55874). Eur J Cancer. 2008;44:808–18.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Viswanathan AN, Moughan J, Miller BE, et al. NRG oncology/RTOG 0921: a phase 2 study of postoperative intensity-modulated radiotherapy with concurrent cisplatin and bevacizumab followed by carboplatin and paclitaxel for patients with endometrial cancer. Cancer. 2015;121(13):2156–63.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Viswanathan AN, Winter K, Miller BE, et al. Updated 4-year results for NRG oncology/RTOG 0921: a phase 2 study of postoperative intensity modulated radiation therapy with concurrent Cisplatin and Bevacizumab followed by carboplatin and paclitaxel for patients with endometrial cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;96(2S):S49–50.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wolfson A, Brady M, Rocereto T, et al. Gynecologic oncology group. Randomized phase III trial of whole abdominal irradiation (WAI) vs. cisplatin-ifosfamide and mesna (CIM) as post-surgical therapy in stage I-IV carcinosarcoma (CS) of the uterus. Gynecol Oncol. 2007;107(2):177–85.CrossRefGoogle Scholar