This chapter will discuss the diagnosis, workup, and management of hepatocellular carcinoma, gallbladder cancer, and intrahepatic and extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.
KeywordsHepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) Gallbladder cancer Cholangiocarcinoma
We thank Chien Peter Chen MD, Kim Huang MD, and Mack Roach III MD, for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Ben-Josef E, Guthrie KA, El-Khoueiry AB, et al. SWOG S0809: a phase II intergroup trial of adjuvant capecitabine and gemcitabine followed by radiotherapy and concurrent capecitabine in extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and gallbladder carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(24):2617–22.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Borghero Y, Crane CH, Szklaruk J, et al. Extrahepatic bile duct adenocarcinoma: patients at high-risk for local recurrence treated with surgery and adjuvant chemoradiation have an equivalent overall survival to patients with standard-risk treated with surgery alone. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:3147–56.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mantripragada KC, Hamid F, Shafgat H, Olszewski AJ. Adjuvant therapy for resected gallbladder cancer: analysis of the national cancer data base. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016;109(2):pii. djw202Google Scholar
- Mornex F, Girarda N, Beziat C, et al. Feasibility and efficacy of high-dose three-dimensional radiotherapy in cirrhotic patients with small-size hepatocellular carcinoma non-eligible for curative therapies – mature results of the French phase II RTF-1 trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;66:1152–8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology: hepatobiliary cancers. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/hepatobiliary.pdf. Accessed on 25 Jan 2017.
- Wang SJ, Fuller CD, Kim JS, et al. Prediction model for estimating the survival benefit of adjuvant radiotherapy for gallbladder cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:2116–7.Google Scholar