Parallel Ray Tracing for Underwater Acoustic Predictions
Different applications of underwater acoustics frequently rely on the calculation of transmissions loss (TL), which is obtained from predictions of acoustic pressure provided by an underwater acoustic model. Such predictions are computationally intensive when dealing with three-dimensional environments. Parallel processing can be used to mitigate the computational burden and improve the performance of calculations, by splitting the computational workload into several tasks, which can be allocated on multiple processors to run concurrently. This paper addresses an Open MPI based parallel implementation of a three-dimensional ray tracing model for predictions of acoustic pressure. Data from a tank scale experiment, providing waveguide parameters and TL measurements, are used to test the accuracy of the ray model and the performance of the proposed parallel implementation. The corresponding speedup and efficiency are also discussed. In order to provide a complete reference runtimes and TL predictions from two additional underwater acoustic models are also considered.
KeywordsParallel computing Open MPI Underwater acoustics Ray tracing
This work received support from the Foreign Courses Program of CNPq and the Brazilian Navy. Thanks are due to the SiPLAB research team, LARSyS, FCT, University of Algarve. The authors are also deeply thankful to LMA-CNRS for allowing the use of the experimental tank data discussed in this work.
- 4.Hodges, R.P.: Underwater Acoustics: Analysis, Design and Performance of Sonar. Wiley, Hoboken (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Soares, C., Zabel, F., Jesus, S.M.: A shipping noise prediction tool. In: OCEANS 2015, Genova (2015). doi: 10.1109/OCEANS-Genova.2015.7271539
- 7.Open MPI: Open Source High Performance Computing, January 2017. http://www.open-mpi.org/
- 9.Hursky, P., Porter, M.B.: Accelerating underwater acoustic propagation modeling using general purpose graphic processing units. In: OCEANS 2011 MTS/IEEE KONA, pp. 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Xing, C.X., Song, Y., Zhang, W., Meng, Q.X., Piao, S.C.: Parallel computing method of seeking 3D eigen-rays with an irregular seabed. In: 2013 IEEE/OES Acoustics in Underwater Geosciences Symposium, pp. 1–5 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Rodríguez, O.C.: The TRACEO ray tracing program. SiPLAB, University of Algarve (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.MPI Forum: Message Passing Interface (MPI) Forum Home Page, January 2017. http://www.mpi-forum.org/
- 17.Porter, M.B.: Out-of-plane effects in ocean acoustics. Technical report, DTIC Document (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.HLS Research: Ocean acoustics library, January 2017. http://oalib.hlsresearch.com/