Leisure Travel and the Time of Later Life
This chapter explores the evolving demand for energy-intensive long distance leisure travel in retirement, a phenomenon which is widely predicted to be on the increase due to demographic change, rising retirement incomes and the retirement of the baby boomer generation, often labelled as the first consumer generation. We undertook serial interviews with three cohorts of people in London and Birmingham, UK, who were respectively approaching retirement, recently retired and longer retired. Drawing on interview material we discuss the different ways in which the time of retirement is imagined, experienced and consumed, and argue that understanding these different and sometimes competing temporal aspects of later life leads to a more nuanced understanding of the dynamics of demand for retirement leisure travel and its potential trajectories.
This work was supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [grant number EP/K011723/1] as part of the RCUK Energy Programme and by EDF as part of the R&D ECLEER Programme.
- ABC. 2015. Increase in elderly travellers poses new challenges for airline industry. Available at: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/increase-in-elderly-travellers-poses-new-challenge/6565668
- Age UK. 2016. Invisible but invaluable army of carers save state billions. Available at: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/richmonduponthames/news--campaigns/invisible-but-invaluable-army-of-carers-save-state-billions/
- Alén, E., N. Losada, and T. Domínguez. 2012. New opportunities for the tourism market: Senior tourism and accessible tourism. In Visions for global tourism industry – Creating and sustaining competitive strategies, ed. M. Kasimoǧlu. Rijeka: InTech.Google Scholar
- Buhalis, D., S. Darcy, and I. Ambrose, eds. 2012. Best practice in accessible tourism: Inclusion, disability, ageing population and tourism. Bristol: Channel View Publications.Google Scholar
- Cox, E., S. Royston, and J. Selby. 2016. The impacts of non-energy policies on the energy system: A scoping paper. London: UKERC. Available at: http://www.ukerc.ac.uk/asset/1B9BBB2F-B98C-4250-BEE5DE0F253EAD91/
- European Commission, Enterprise and Industry Directorate-General. 2014. Europe, the best destination for seniors: Facilitating cooperation mechanisms to increase senior tourist’s travels within Europe and from third countries in the low and medium seasons – Experts draft report. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documents/5977/attachments/1/translations/en/renditions/native
- Gilleard, C., and P. Higgs. 2005. Contexts of ageing: Class, cohort and community. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- HM Government. 2010. Equality act 2010.Google Scholar
- Macnaghten, P., and J. Urry. 1998. Contested natures. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Office for National Statistics. 2014. Health expectancies in the United Kingdom, Great Britain, England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland. Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/datasets/healthexpectanciesintheunitedkingdomgreatbritainenglandwalesscotlandnorthernireland
- ———. 2015. Inequality in healthy life expectancy at birth by national deciles of area deprivation: England, 2011–2013. Available at: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160114055601/ http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/disabilityand-health-measurement/inequality-in-healthy-life-expectancy-at-birth-by-national-deciles-of-area-deprivation-england/index.html
- Pensions Policy Institute. 2013. Demographics. Available at: http://www.pensionspolicyinstitute.org.uk/pension-facts/pension-facts-tables/table-1-demographics
- Tarlow, P. 2007. Tourism: Dealing with the senior market. Destination World News. Available at: http://www.destinationworld.info/newsletter/feature36.html. Accessed 20 Nov 2016.
- The Economist. 2016. Shades of grey. The Economist. Available at: http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21690060-pensioners-incomes-are-now-higher-those-working-households-some-are-doing-much. Accessed 9 Mar 2017.
- Urzi Brancati, C., and B. Franklin. 2015. Here today, gone tomorrow: How today’s retirement choices could affect financial resilience over the long term. London: International Longevity Centre. Available at: http://www.ilcuk.org.uk/images/uploads/publication-pdfs/Here_today,_gone_tomorrow_1.pdf
- Weiss, R.S. 2005. The experience of retirement. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar