Environmental Risk Management and Assurance
Duncan Giddens explores the role and key elements of environmental risk management in securing compliance and improving environmental performance.
In an imperfect world, there is a continuing need for interventions from the state to correct market failures. But regulation—and regulators—must adapt to the ways that organisations operate in the modern world. Regulators—and interventions—may need to ‘nudge’, rather than ‘prescribe’, to change behaviour and achieve desired outcomes.
Management systems can help organisations to make the transition from imposed regulation to proactive management. To be effective, environmental management must take account of economic and social interactions. Each organisation is unique and should decide what works best to manage its environmental, economic and social risks and opportunities.
Compliance as a starting point for effective risk management
Interventions to achieve better environmental outcomes
Integrated and innovative management approaches
- Baldrige Performance Excellence Program. 2015. 2015–2016. Baldrige Excellence Framework: A Systems Approach to Improving Your Organization’s Performance (Business/Nonprofit). Gaithersburg, MD: U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology. https://www.nist.gov/baldrige. See Also: Description of framework using text from web-site and graphics. http://www.baldrige.org/foundation/Mission-History.aspx
- Chartered Quality Institute (CQI). 2016. Management System Specification and Guidance MSS 1000:2014. http://www.thecqi.org/Community/Special-Interest-Groups-SIGs/Integrated-Management-Group/Research-and-reports/. Extracted text to summarise MSS 1000: 2014 Specification and Guidance, including Figure 2 in MSS 1000: 2014 and Figure 4 in MSS 1000: 2014.
- CQI Special Interest Group (SIG). 2016. Integrated Management Systems Referenced from Web-Site. http://www.thecqi.org/Community/Special-Interest-Groups-SIGs/Integrated-Management-Group/Research-and-reports
- Defra. 2013. Instrument Selection Guidance. http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.aspx?Document=11687_InstrumentSelectionGuidance041113-external.pdf
- ENDS. 2017. Report on Cabinet Office’s Regulatory Futures Review. http://www.endsreport.com/article/55090/environment-agency-encouraged-to-increase-self-assurance
- ENDS Report. 2016. Change is Inherent in Corporate Reporting, July 25. http://www.endsreport.com/article/53324/change-is-inherent-in-corporate-reporting. Selected text from article based on interview with Paul Scott, managing director of Corporate Register.
- Environment Agency. 2008. Effective Inspection and Enforcement: Implementing the Hampton Vision in the Environment Agency. https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/EA_Hampton_report.pdf. Text in quotes.
- ———. 2014. Operational Risk Appraisal Methodology. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/operational-risk-appraisal-opra. Description of Opra attributes is author’s personal interpretation of online content.
- ———. 2016a. Operator Self-monitoring Scheme: MCERTs. Selected text from web-page https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/monitoring-emissions-to-air-land-and-water-mcerts
- ———. 2016b. Pig and Poultry Assurance Scheme, Selected text from web-page https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pig-and-poultry-assurance-scheme-intensive-farming
- Environment Agency Annual Reports and Accounts 2008/9 and 2015/16. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/environment-agency-annual-reports-and-accounts. Quoted figures from the report rounded by the author to nearest 100.
- European Environment Agency. 2016. http://www.eea.europa.eu/
- Hampton Review of Progress of Environment Agency, 2010. Selected quotes from the report.Google Scholar
- HMT. 2016. The Magenta Book. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-magenta-book
- Environment Agency Wales. Corporate Plan 2010–15. http://abetterenvironmentforwales.co.uk/6004_EA_Eng%20index%20page_2.swf
- IEMA. 2016. Environmentalist Journal, Emisoft Statoil Case Study. Emisoft and Statoil Case Study in Environmentalist Selected text agreed with Emisoft Project Manager, Inki R Brown. http://view.m.lexisnexis.co.uk/?qs=b786d736a397e4978ef2914322c881fc7ab939b0b4952b2c0129efb1e437d48c70ad3a25cf344fb24d7e11be4c090fb89910c722e095aa91102d4a7eed393affd596e206661774b0
- IMPEL. 2006–2009. Doing the Right Things Methodology. http://www.impel.eu/projects/doing-the-right-things-methodology
- ———. 2014. Supporting the Implementation of Integrated Risk Assessment. http://www.impel.eu/projects/supporting-the-implementation-of-the-integrated-risk-assessment-method-iram
- ———. 2016. Consultation Response to European Co-operation for Accreditation Regarding the Review of Guidance Document, EA-7/04—Legal Compliance as a Part of Accredited ISO 14001: 2015 Certification, 2016. Text in Quotes from Personal Communication with IMPEL Project Manager.Google Scholar
- IMPEL Report: 2014/12 April 1, 2015. Choosing Appropriate Interventions, Phase 3. Selection of Text from Project Report and Project Managers (the author) Personal Notes. http://www.impel.eu/projects/choosing-appropriate-interventions-phase-3.
- IMPEL Report: 2015/18, November 25, 2015. Implementation of the iDepend Decision Support Tool. http://www.impel.eu/projects/implementation-of-the-idepend-decision-support-tool. Selection of Text from Project Report, User Guidance Document and Project Manager’s (the author) Personal Notes. http://www.impel.eu/projects/implementation-of-the-idepend-decision-support-tool.
- IMPEL Report: 2015/18, November 25, 2015. Implementation of the iDepend Decision Support Tool.Google Scholar
- IMPEL Reports: 2011/04—2013/15—2014/16—2015/19—2016/19. Compliance Assurance Through Company Compliance Management Systems. Selection of text from project reports and author’s personal notes. http://www.impel.eu/projects/compliance-assurance-through-company-compliance-management-systems. See also http://www.impel.eu/tools/guidance-cms-assistance; http://www.impel.eu/projects/working-together-public-and-private-supervisor-assessing-ems-cms/.
- ISO Survey. 2016. The ISO Survey of Management System Standard Certifications 2015. Statistics from Table Showing 2015 Survey Results. http://www.iso.org/iso/the_iso_survey_of_management_system_standard_certifications_2015.pdf
- KPMG. 2015. Currents of Change Survey of Corporate Responsibility Reporting 2015. https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2015/11/kpmg-international-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2015.html
- Natural Capital Coalition. 2016. Description of Protocol Including Graphic at Figure 5. http://naturalcapitalcoalition.org/protocol/
- SNIFFER Report ER34. 2013. Compliance Enforcement Model, Environment Agency. Graphic Reproduced from Figure 1, Page 52 of Report https://www.sniffer.org.uk/files/5013/6749/5161/ER34_Project_Report_FNL.pdf
- Viridor. 2011. Viridor Openspace Web Portal Developed with Environment Agency. Selected Text Used from Viridor/Environment Agency/EHS Data Brochures. http://ehsdata.com/documents/uploads/Viridor_CS.pdf. see also http://www.monitor-pro.co.uk/our-products/environment-agency-portal.aspx