Preliminary Application of an Assistant Personal Robot as an Ambient Monitoring Tool
Parameters such as illumination, humidity and temperature are directly related to the quality of life and safety of the inhabitants of a house, especially in the case of elders and kids. With this objective, an autonomous mobile robot which operates as a personal assistant has been equipped with a measuring device which monitors such parameters. The mobile robot displays graphically the measures obtained over a map of the explored area. This paper describes the implementation and results obtained when using the mobile robot as an autonomous mobile monitoring device in order to identify and locate areas which temperature, light or humidity are out of a recommended range.
KeywordsAssistant personal robot Ambient monitoring tool Home assistant Autonomous agent
This work is partially founded by Indra, the University of Lleida, by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Plan Nacional de Investigación Científica, Desarrollo e Innovación Tecnológica: TEC2011-26143 and TEC2014-59229-R and by the Government of Catalonia (Comissionat per a Universitats i Recerca, Departament d’Innovació, Universitats i Empresa) and the European Social Fund (ECO/1639/2013).
- 1.Alves, C., Nunes, T., Silva, J., Duarte, M.: Comfort parameters and particulate matter (PM10 and PM2.5) in school classrooms and outdoor air. Aerosol Air Qual. Res. 13, 1521–1535 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Guatério, D.P., Zortea, B., Santos, S.S.C., Tarouco, B.S., Lopes, M.J., Fonseca, C.J.: Risk Factors for new accidental falls in elderly patients at traumatology ambulatory center. Invest Educ Emferm 33, 35–43 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.ASHRAE: Thermal Environmental Conditions for Human Occupancy, Atlanta GA, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 55–1992) (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Clotet, E., Martínez, D., Moreno, J., Tresanchez, M., Palacín, J.: Assistant Personal Robot (APR): conception and application of a tele-operated assisted living robot. Sensors 610 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Rusinkiewicz, S., Levoy, M.: Efficient variants of the ICP algorithm. In: Third International Conference on 3-D Digital Imaging and Modeling. (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Moreno, J., Clotet, E., Lupiañez, R., Tresanchez, M., Martinez, D., Pallejà, T., Casanovas, J., Palacín, J.: Design, Implementation and validation of the three-wheel holonomic motion system of the Assistant Personal Robot (APR). Sensors 1658 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Martínez, D., Moreno, J., Tresanchez, M., Clotet, E., Jiménez-Soto, J.M., Magrans, R., Pardo, A., Marco, S., Palacín, J.: Measuring gas concentration and wind intensity in a turbulent wind tunnel with a mobile robot. J. Sens. Article ID 7184980 (2016)Google Scholar