ASEAN’s Limitations in Conflict Resolution
Looking at the overall political and security conditions of ASEAN, we can surmise that although major conflicts of interests or values that could lead to war between ASEAN countries could be few, all potential and existing problems reflected the fact that ASEAN has deep limitations in solving its internal conflicts. This chapter addresses some of the limitations that have confined or imprisoned ASEAN in solving conflicts among her member countries. This has caused ASEAN to seek help from mechanisms/powers and agents outside the region to settle their own conflicts. This certainly reduces the potentials of ASEAN in solving its internal conflicts. The first part of the chapter addresses the constraints of ASEAN on regional conflict resolution and prevention and the latter part includes recommendations on overcoming those constraints.
- Acharya, A. 2001. Constructing a Security Community in Southeast Asia: ASEAN and the Problem of Regional Order. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- ASEAN. 2013. ASEAN Institute for Peace and Reconciliation Kicks Off in Jakarta. http://www.asean.org/news/asean-secretariat-news/item/asean-institute-for-peace-and-reconciliation-kicks-off-in-jakarta. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.
- ASEAN Division. 2012. Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia. http://www.mfa.go.th/asean/contents/files/customize-20130130-111514-041979.pdf. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.
- Chen, D. 2012. South China Sea Dispute Off ASEAN Summit Agenda. http://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/south-china-sea-dispute-off-asean-summit-agenda-609. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.
- Kanparit, S. 2013. A Mediator Named ASEAN: Lessons from Preah Vihear. http://www.aseannews.net/a-mediator-named-asean-lessons-from-preah-vihear. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.
- Molthof, M. 2012. ASEAN and the Principle of Non-interference. http://www.e-ir.info/2012/02/08/asean-and-the-principle-of-non-interference/. Accessed 11 Feb 2015.
- Stratieva, N. 2014. The ‘Burning’ Problem of Air Pollution in South East Asia. http://www.worldwatch-europe.org/node/232. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.
- The Lord’s Resistance Army. n.d.-a. http://www.c-r.org/our-work/lords-resistance-army. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.
- Thepchatri, P. 2012. ASEAN Community. Bangkok: Sematham. (in Thai).Google Scholar
- Wandi, A. 2010. Building ASEAN Capacity for Conflict Mediation. Brussels. http://www.initiativeforpeacebuilding.eu/pdf/0111AgusWandi.pdf. Accessed 25 Sept 2014.