HomeAssist: An Assisted Living Platform for Aging in Place Based on an Interdisciplinary Approach
This paper presents HomeAssist: an assisted living platform aims to support aging in place. This platform was designed using a human-centered approach. It offers assistive services, addressing the main aspects of daily life: activities of daily living, home and user safety, and social participation. HomeAssist introduces key novel features: (1) it covers multiple aspects of daily life, addressing a variety of needs of older adults; (2) it provides customization mechanisms, adapting assistance to the user’s abilities while preventing autonomy losses; (3) it relies on context awareness, delivering timely assistance; and, (4) it revolves around a unified user interface to achieve usability.
All these features play a key role towards achieving high acceptance of HomeAssist and supporting autonomy effectively, as shown by our field study.
KeywordsHuman Factors Aging in place Pervasive computing Field study
- 6.Fisk, A.D., Rogers, W.A., Charness, N., Czaja, S.J., Sharit, J.: Designing for Older Adults: Principles and Creative Human Factors Approaches. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Reeder, B., Meyer, E., Lazar, A., Chaudhuri, S., Thompson, H.J., Demiris, G.: Framing the evidence for health smart homes and home-based consumer health technologies as a public health intervention for independent aging: a systematic review. Int. J. Med. Inform. 82(7), 565–579 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Dupuy, L., Sauzéon, H., Consel, C.: Perceived needs for assistive technologies in older adults and their caregivers. In: ACM WomENcourage 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Caroux, L., Consel, C., Dupuy, L., Sauzéon, H.: Verification of daily activities of older adults: a simple, non-intrusive, low-cost approach. In: ACM ASSETS 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Consel, C., Dupuy, L., Sauzéon, H.: A unifying notification system to scale up assistive services. In: ACM ASSETS 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Hassenzahl, M., Burmester, M., Koller, F.: AttrakDiff: Ein Fragebogen zur Messung wahrgenommener hedonischer und pragmatischer Qualität. In: Mensch and Computer, pp. 187–196. Vieweg + Teubner Verlag (2003)Google Scholar
- 22.Dupuy, L., Froger, C., Consel, C., Sauzéon, H.: Evaluation of everyday functioning benefits from a long-term use of an assisted living platform for aging in place: a pilot field study amongst frail community-dwelling older adults and their caregivers (2017)Google Scholar