Providing Improved Crowding Information to Provide Benefits for Rail Passengers and Operators
This paper outlines the fact that crowding is an increasing problem on train services across the world. New ways of tackling the problems are needed, and providing improved information to help passengers make informed decisions is one option. This paper summarizes some stated preference work undertaken in the UK, which shows that improved information provision could in some cases be effective, and considers how it could be presented. The challenges of providing such information are then considered; one option is to rely on existing data sources, and the merits of a number of different sources are discussed.
KeywordsRail Information provision Data acquisition
The authors would like to thank the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) and Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) Ltd. for supporting this research.
- 4.Henn, L., Karpouzis, G., Sloan, K.: A review of policy and economic instruments for peak demand management in commuter rail. In: ATRF 2010 33rd Australas. Transp. Res. Forum, No. October, pp. 1–20 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Preston, J., Pritchard, J., Waterson, B.: Train overcrowding: investigating the use of better information provision to mitigate the issues. In: 96th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, vol. 44, no. 0, pp. 1–15 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Pritchard, J., Preston, J.: Investigating the potential to mitigate crowding issues on trains by providing improved information to passengers. In: Stanton, N.A., Landry, S., Di Bucchianico, G., Vallicelli, A. (eds.) Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation: Proceedings of the AHFE 2016 International Conference on Human Factors in Transportation, July 27–31, 2016, Walt Disney World®, Florida, USA, pp. 77–87. Springer, Cham (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.London Midland: Finding a seat. www.londonmidland.com (2016). http://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/your-journey/finding-a-seat/. Accessed 21 June 2016
- 11.Rail Delivery Group: Capability Delivery Plan (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.StataCorpLP, “Stata Manual - asclogit.” (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.McFadden, D.: Conditional logit analysis of qualitative choice behavior. Front. Econom. 105–142 (1973)Google Scholar
- 14.Japan Today: JR East launching app that will allow for real-time tracking of train services. www.japantoday.com (2014). https://www.japantoday.com/category/technology/view/jr-east-launching-app-that-will-allow-for-real-time-tracking-of-train-services. Accessed 01 Mar 2017