Emergent Times: Disruptive Logic as a Breeding Ground
In this chapter, both the disruptive and the productive power of emotions, affects and feelings are explored in relation to the act of organizing and the ability to act when organized. The ambiguous relation between the coming into being of the new, the organization of parts and the inevitable abdication of the old shall be discussed. Questions such as “(how) are we able to break free from a fixed structure?”, “(how) are we able to see what emerges?” or “how and why do we (re)act in case of emergencies?”, shall arise and be answered with the help of etymology and a few renowned thinkers, such as Heidegger, Spinoza and Deleuze and Guattari.
KeywordsEmergency Emotion Affect Buoyancy Augenblick
- Baudrillard, Jean. 1996. Simulacra and Simulation. Michigan: The University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Bifo. 2008. Alterity and Desire. In Deleuze, Guattari and the Production of the New, Continuum Studies in Continental Philosophy, ed. Simon O’Sullivan and Stephen Zepke. New York: Continuum International Publishing Group.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gille, and Félix Guattari. 2009. A Thousand Plateaus. Trans. Brian Massumi. London/New York: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Etymonline. 2001–2017. Douglas Harper. www.etymonline.com. Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
- Merriam-Webster. 2017. Merriam-Webster Incorporated. www.merriam-webster.com. Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
- Metro. 2017. Associated Newspapers Limited, March 23. http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/23/man-arrested-for-trying-to-drive-into-crowd-in-antwerp-6529347/. Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
- O’Sullivan, Simon, and Stephen Zepke, eds. 2008. Deleuze, Guattari and the Production of the New, Continuum Studies in Continental Philosophy. New York: Continuum International Publishing Group.Google Scholar
- Shouse, Eric. 2005. Feeling, Emotion, Affect. http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0512/03-shouse.php
- Spinoza, Baruch. 1981. The Ethics with an Introduction by SPR Charter. Malibu: Pangloss Press/Joseph Simon Publisher.Google Scholar
- Ward, Koral. 2008. Augenblick. The Concept of the ‘Decisive Moment’ in 19 th – and 20 th – Century Western Philosophy. Hampshire: Ashgate Publishing.Google Scholar