Long-Term Secure Commitments via Extractable-Binding Commitments
Cryptographic commitments are either unconditionally hiding or unconditionally binding, but cannot be both. As a consequence, the security of commonly used commitment schemes is threatened in the long-term, when adversaries become computationally much more powerful. We improve over this situation by putting forward a new notion of commitment schemes, so called long-term commitment schemes. These schemes allow for long-term protection because they allow to adjust the protection level after the initial commitment. We also present a construction of a long-term commitment scheme. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to prove the security of such a scheme using the traditional commitment binding definition. Therefore, we put forward a new notion of binding commitments, so called extractable-binding commitments, and use this notion to establish a security proof for our proposed long-term commitment scheme.
- 3.Bellare, M., Desai, A., Jokipii, E., Rogaway, P.: A concrete security treatment of symmetric encryption. In: 38th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, FOCS 1997, Miami Beach, Florida, 19–22 October 1997, pp. 394–403 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Bellare, M., Rogaway, P.: The exact security of digital signatures - how to sign with RSA and rabin. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on the Theory and Application of Cryptographic Techniques, Advances in Cryptology - EUROCRYPT 1996, Saragossa, Spain, 12–16 May 1996, pp. 399–416 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Bitansky, N., Canetti, R., Chiesa, A., Goldwasser, S., Lin, H., Rubinstein, A., Tromer, E.: The hunting of the SNARK. J. Cryptol. 1–78 (2016). doi:10.1007/s00145-016-9241-9
- 6.Brassard, G., Crépeau, C., Mayers, D., Salvail, L.: A brief review on the impossibility of quantum bit commitment. arXiv preprint quant-ph/9712023 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Braun, J., Buchmann, J., Demirel, D., Geihs, M., Fujiwara, M., Moriai, S., Sasaki, M., Waseda, A.: LINCOS: A storage system providing long-term integrity, authenticity, and confidentiality. In: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security, ASIA CCS 2017, pp. 461–468. ACM, New York (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Geihs, M., Demirel, D., Buchmann, J.: A security analysis of techniques for long-term integrity protection. In: 2016 14th Annual Conference on Privacy, Security and Trust (PST) (2016)Google Scholar