A 37-year-old G0P0 patient with a cervical fibroid presents with dysfunctional uterine bleeding and anemia. She notes that over the course of the past one and a half years, her periods, while still regular, have slowly increased in amount. Her cycles are 33 days in length, and last for a total of 5 days. Days one to three are heavy, and she will change both a super tampon and overnight pad every 2 h on these days. She is otherwise completely healthy. She has no preexisting conditions and has not had any previous surgeries. She is on no medications and has no known drug allergies. Her last pap smear was 2 years ago and was normal. She has never had any history of abnormal pap smears or sexually transmitted infections. There is no family history of breast, ovarian, or colon cancer.
(MOV 277054 kb)
- 6.Lethaby A, Duckitt K, Farquhar C. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for heavy menstrual bleeding. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(1):CD000400. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000400. PII: S1521-6934(15)00230-8.
- 10.Sangkomkamhang US, Lumbiganon P, Laopaiboon M, Mol BW. Progestogens or progestogen-releasing intrauterine systems for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(2):CD008994. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD008994.
- 11.Moroni RM, Martins WP, Ferriani RA, Vieira CS, Nastri CO, Candido Dos Reis FJ, Brito LG. Add-back therapy with GnRH analogues for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(3):CD010854. doi: 10.1002/14651858. CD010854.
- 12.Gurusamy KS, Vaughan J, Fraser IS, Best LMJ, Richards T. Medical therapies for uterine fibroids—a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS ONE. 11(2):e0149631. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149631.
- 14.Donnez J, Tatarchuk TF, Bouchard P, Pascasiu L, Zakharenko NF, Ivanova T, Ugocsai G, Mara M, Jilla MP, Bestel E, Terrill P, Osterloh I, Loumaye E, PEARL 1 Study Group. Ulipristal acetate versus placebo for fibroid treatment before surgery. New Engl J Med. 2012;366(2):409–20. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1103182.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Czuczwar P, Wozniak S, Szkodziak P, Wozniakowska E, Paszkowki M, Wrona W, Milart P, Paszkowski T, Popajewki M. Predicting the results of uterine artery embolization: correlation between initial intramural fibroid volume and percentage volume decrease. Prz Menopauzalny. 2014;13(4):247–52. doi: 10.5114/pm.2014.45001.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Firouznia K, Ghanaati H, Sanaati M, Jalali AH, Shakiba M. Uterine artery embolization in 101 cases of uterine fibroids: do size, location, and number of fibroids affect therapeutic success and complications? Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2008;31(3):521–6. doi: 10.1007/s00270–007-9288-y.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Lethaby A, Vollenhoven B, Sowter M. Pre-operative GnRH analogue therapy before hysterectomy or myomectomy for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;(2):CD000547.Google Scholar