Introduction: Higher Police Education—An International Perspective
When considering the future of policing one thing is certain. Policing does not exist in a vacuum. It is impacted upon daily and, in the long term, by changes in the social, political, economic, technological, environmental and legal structures, in whatever country it is practised. It therefore follows that the future structure and activities of policing will be shaped by the future changes within these and other activities.
- Batts, A. W., Smoot, S. M., & Scrivner, E. (2012). Police Leadership Challenges in a Changing World. Available at https://ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/238338.pdf. Accessed 13 Mar 2014.
- Castells, M. (2010). The Rise of the Network Society (2nd ed.). Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Clarke, J., Newman, J., Smith, N., Vidler, E., & Westmarland, L. (2009). Creating Citizen-Consumers: Changing Publics and Changing Public Services. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Garland, D. (2001). The Culture of Control: Crime and Social Order in Contemporary Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, H. (1990). Problem Oriented Policing. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Greene, J. R., & Mastrofski, S. D. (1988). Community policing: Rhetoric or Reality. New York: Praeger Publishers.Google Scholar
- Harfield, C., MacVean, A., Grieve, J. G. D., & Phillips, D. (2008). The Handbook of Intelligent Policing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hebdon, R., & Kirkpatrick, I. (2006). Changes in the Organisation of Public Services and their Effects on Employment Relations. In S. Ackroyd et al. (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Work and Organisation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- National Intelligence Council. (2008). Global Trends 2030. Available at http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/GlobalTrends_2030.pdf. Accessed 12 Mar 2014.
- Rogers, C. (2012). Crime Reduction Partnerships. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Schafer, J. A. (Ed.). Policing 2020, Exploring the Future of Crime, Communities and Policing. Available at http://fwg.cos.ucf.edu/publications/Policing2020.pdf. Accessed 12 Mar 2014.
- Schafer, J. A., Buerger, M. E., Myers, R. W., Jensen, C. J., & Levin, B. H. (2012). The Future of Policing, A Practical Guide for Police Managers and Leaders. Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Spybey, T. (1996). Globalisation and World Society. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Wedlock, E. (2006). Crime and Community Cohesion, Home Office Report 19/06. Available at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120919132719/http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/communities/pdf/452513.pdf. Accessed 13 Mar 2014.