Update in Development: Section B—Autism Spectrum Disorder
The purpose of this update is to provide a review of current literature pertaining to Autism Spectrum Disorders and some of the more useful and practical innovations in the field, based on recent publications as well as some consensus. We have also taken the liberty of inserting some practical key points in the update. These are intended to facilitate acquisition of salient historical points, as well as demystifying the presentation of the diagnosis to parents and caregivers.
We will begin by giving a general overview of issues around prevalence and some discussion around etiology, assessment and treatment, and then select a few important and possibly controversial topics to discuss. Throughout the chapter, we will attempt to make things easy to understand, practical and as much as possible, evidence-based.
KeywordsAutism spectrum disorder Microarray Epigenetic Gender dysphoria/gender identification disorder Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder Anxiety Developmental coordination disorder Dysbiosis Irritability/aggression Intellectual disability Applied behavioral analysis
- Agudelo A, Rosas-Bermudez A, et al. Birth spacing and risk of autism and other neurodevelopmental disabilities: a systematic review. Pediatrics. 2016;137(5):1–13.Google Scholar
- American Speech-Language Hearing AssociationAutism review; 2015. http://www.asha.org/PRPSpecificTopic.aspx?folderid=8589935303§ion=Overview
- Antshel MA, Zhang-James Y, et al. An update on the comorbidity of ADHD and ASD: a focus on clinical management. Expert Rev Neurother. 2013;16(3):279–93.Google Scholar
- Buio J. Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders, among children aged eight years: autism and developmental disabilities monitoring network. CDC. 2014;63(SS02):1–12.Google Scholar
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention 2016. http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html.
- Constantino J. 2012. Social responsiveness scale, second edition (SRS-2). www.wpspublish.com
- Demicheli V, Rivetti A, et al. Vaccines for measles mumps and rubella in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;2:CD004407.Google Scholar
- Folstein SE, Carcache LM. Psychiatric comorbidity in autism spectrum disorder. In: CJ MD, editor. Autism spectrum disorder. Oxford University Press: Oxford; 2016.Google Scholar
- Jain A, Marshall J, et al. Autism occurrence by MMR vaccine status among US children with older siblings with and without autism. Lancet. 2015;313(15):1534–40.Google Scholar
- Joseph L, Soorya L, Thurm A. Autism spectrum disorder. Cambridge, MA: Hogrefe and Huber Publishers; 2014.Google Scholar
- Kalyva E, Kyriazi M, et al. A review of co-occurrence of autism spectrum disorder and Tourette syndrome. Res Autism Spectr Disord. 2016;24:39–51.Google Scholar
- Kullage KM, Smaldone AM, Cohn EG. How will DSM 5 affect autism diagnosis? A systematic literature review and meta-analysis. J Autism Dev Disord. 2014;44(8):1918–32.Google Scholar
- Lord C, Rutter M. 2012. Autism diagnostic observation schedule, second edition (AD0S-2). www.wpspublish.com
- Ludvigsson JF, et al. The nationwide study of the association between celiac disease and the risk of autism spectrum disorders. JAMA Psychiat. 2013;70(14):1224–30.Google Scholar
- Mahajan R, Bernal MP, et al. Clinical practice pathways for evaluation and medication choice for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics. 2012;m130(2):S125–38.Google Scholar
- Mannion A, Leader G. Gastrointestinal symptoms in autism spectrum disorder: a literature review. Rev J Autism Dev Disord. 2014;1:11–7.Google Scholar
- Marlow BW, Marzec ML, et al. Characterizing sleep in children with autism spectrum disorders: a multidimensional approach. Sleep. 2006;29(12):1563–71.Google Scholar
- McDonnell A, McCreadie M, et al. The role of physiological arousal in the management of challenging behaviors in individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Res Dev Disabil. 2015;36:311–22.Google Scholar
- O’Mahony SM, Stilling RM, et al. The microbiome and childhood diseases: focus on brain-gut axis. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2015;105(4):296–313.Google Scholar
- Paquet A, Olliac B, et al. Current knowledge of motor disorders in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Child Neuropsychol. 2015;29:1–32.Google Scholar
- Peters-Scheffer N, Didden R, Korzilius H, et al. A meta-analytic study on the effectiveness of comprehensive ABA-based early intervention programs for children with autism spectrum disorders. Res Autism Spectr Disord. 2011;5:60–9.Google Scholar
- Politte LC, Howe Y, et al. Evidence based treatments for autism spectrum disorder. Curr Treat Options Psychiatry. 2015;2:38–56.Google Scholar
- Richard EF. Prevalence, significance of clinical characteristics of seizures, epilepsy and subclinical electrical activity in autism. NAJ Med Sci. 2015;8(3):113–22.Google Scholar
- Rk Y, Thiruvahindrapuram B, et al. Whole genome sequencing of quartet families with autism spectrum disorder. Nat Med. 2015;21(2):185–91.Google Scholar
- Rutter M, Barley A. 2003. Social communication questionnaire. www.wpspublish.com
- Schaefer GB. Clinical genetic aspects of ASD spectrum disorders. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(180):1–14.Google Scholar
- Tammimies K, Marshall CR, Walker S, Kaur G, Thiruvahindrapuram B, Lionel AC, Yuen RKC, Uddin M, Roberts W, Weksberg R, Woodbury-Smith M, Zwaigenbaum L, Anagnostou E, Wang Z, Wei J, Howe JL, Gazzellone MJ, Lau L, Sung WWL, Whitten K, Vardy C, Crosbie V, Tsang B, D’Abate L, Tong WWL, Luscombe S, Doyle T, Carter MT, Szatmari P, Stuckless S, Merico D, Stavropoulos DJ, Scherer SW, Fernandez BA. Molecular diagnostic yield of chromosomal microarray analysis and whole-exome sequencing in children with autism spectrum disorder. JAMA. 2015;314(9):895.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- The Autism treatment Network Autism speaks. 2017 (https://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits).
- The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (2014) The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) 63(SS02):1–21. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6302a1.htm .
- Van der Meer JM, Oerlemans AM, et al. Are autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder different manifestations of one overarching disorder? Cognitive and symptom evidence from a clinical and population-based sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012;51(11):1160–72.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zablotsky B, Black LI, et al. Estimated prevalence of autism and other developmental disabilities following questionnaire changes in the 2014 national health interview survey. Natl Health Stat Rep. 2015;87:1–20.Google Scholar