CityDash: Visualising a Changing City Using Open Data
- 1.2k Downloads
In an increasingly urbanised world, there are pressures being placed on our cities, which planners, decision-makers, and communities need to be able to respond to. Data driven responses and tools that can support the communication of information, and indicators on a city’s performance are becoming increasingly available and have the potential to play a critical role in understanding and managing complex urban systems. In this research, we will review international efforts in the creation of city dashboards and introduce the City of Sydney Dashboard, known as CityDash. This chapter culminates in a number of recommendations for city dashboards’ implementation. The recommendations for city dashboards include: consolidated information on a single web page, live data feeds relevant to planners and decision-makers as well as citizens’ daily lives, and site analytics as a way of evaluating user interactions and preferences.
KeywordsOpen data Smart cities Visualisation Dashboard Real-time data
- ARUP. (2010). C40 urban life: Melbourne smart city. http://www.cityofsound.com/files/c40_melbourne_report_final_email.pdf. Accessed November 27, 2016.
- Batty, M. (2013). Big data, smart cities and city planning. Dialogues in Human Geography, 3(3), 274–79. doi: 10.1177/2043820612513390
- Batty, M. (2015). A perspective on city dashboards. Regional Studies, Regional Science, 2(1), 29–32. doi: 10.1080/21681376.2014.987540
- Few, S. (2006). Information dashboard design: The effective visual communication of data. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media, Incorporated.Google Scholar
- Greenfield, A. (2006). Everyware: The dawning age of ubiquitous computing. Berkeley, CA: New Riders.Google Scholar
- Henderson, L. J., & Center, W. (2003). The Baltimore citistat Program: Performance and accountability. Arlington, VA: Managing Results Series, IBM Endowment for The Business of Government.Google Scholar
- Hollands, R. (2008). Will the real smart city please stand up? Intelligent, progressive, or entrepreneurial? City, 12(3), 303–320. doi: 10.1080/13604810802479126
- ISO. (2014). ISO 37120:2014 Sustainable development of communities—Indicators for city services and quality of life. http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=62436. Accessed November 27, 2016.
- Kitchin, R., Maalsen, S., & McArdle, G. (2015a). The praxis and politics of building urban dashboards. SSRN Electronic Journal. doi: 10.2139/ssrn.2608988
- Kitchin, R., Lauriault, T. P., & McArdle, G. (2015b). Knowing and governing cities through urban indicators, city benchmarking and real-time dashboards. Regional Studies, Regional Science, 2(1), 6–28. doi: 10.1080/21681376.2014.983149.
- London Datastore. (2016). London Datastore. https://data.london.gov.uk/. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Mattern, S. (2014). Interfacing urban intelligence. Places. https://placesjournal.org/article/interfacing-urban-intelligence/. Accessed November 27, 2016.
- Mattern, S. (2015). Mission control: A history of the urban dashboard. Places. https://placesjournal.org/article/mission-control-a-history-of-the-urban-dashboard/. Accessed November 23, 2016.
- Perez, P., du Chemin, T. H., Turpin, E., & Clarke, R. (2015, September). Citizen-driven flood mapping in Jakarta: A self-organising socio-technical system. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems Workshops (SASOW) (pp. 174–178). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Pettit, C. J., Lieske, S. N., & Leao, S. Z. (2016). Big bicycle data processing: From personal data to urban applications. In ISPRS XXIII Congress (2016), Prague, Czech Republic, July 12–19th, 2016.Google Scholar
- Prefeitura do Rio de Janeiro. (2010). Centro de Operações Rio chega para integrar 30 órgãos municipais. http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/web/guest/exibeconteudo?article-id=1419835. Accessed November 28, 2016.
- Rivard, K., & Cogswell, D. (2004). Are you drowning in BI reports? Using analytical dashboards to cut through the clutter. DM Review. http://internal.advizorsolutions.com/press/Cut%20Through%20The%20Clutter.pdf. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Rogers, Y., Sharp, H., & Preece, J. (2011). Interaction design: Beyond human-computer (3rd ed.). Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Russo, P., Costabile, M., Lanzilotti, R., & Pettit, C. (2015). Usability of planning support systems: An evaluation framework. In S. Geertman, J. Ferreira, J. Goodspeed, & R. Stillwell (Eds.), Planning support systems and smart cities, Lecture notes in geoinformation and cartography (pp. 337–353). Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.Google Scholar
- SF OpenData. (2017). SF OpenData. https://data.sfgov.org. Accessed February 23, 2017.
- Shepard, M. (2011). Sentient city: Ubiquitous computing, architecture, and the future of urban space. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Singer, N. (2012, March 3). Mission control, built for cities: IBM takes ‘smarter cities’ concept to Rio de Janeiro. New York Times, p. BU1. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/business/ibm-takes-smarter-cities-concept-to-rio-de-janeiro.html. Accessed November 28, 2016.
- Townsend, A. (2013). Smart cities: Big data, civiv hackers, and the quest for a new utopia. New York, NY: W.W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Tufte, E. R. (2001). The visual display of quantitative information (2nd ed.). Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (2014). World urbanization prospects: The 2014 revision. New York: UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs. https://esa.un.org/unpd/wup/publications/files/wup2014-highlights.Pdf. Accessed November 27, 2016.
- Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis. (2017). CityDashboard [Webpage, screen capture]. Retrieved from http://citydashboard.org/london/
- City Futures Research Centre. (2017). Sydney City Dashboard [Webpage, screen capture]. Retrieved from http://citydashboard.be.unsw.edu.au/
- Maynooth University. (2016). Dublin Dashboard [Webpage, screen capture]. Retrieved from http://dublindashboard.ie/pages/HomeEnvironment
- WCCD. (2015). WCCD metrics for Dubai, Melbourne, and Toronto’s 2015 performance [Webpage, screen capture]. Retrieved from http://open.dataforcities.org/