Multicriteria Decision Making for Healthcare Facilities Location with Visualization Based on FITradeoff Method
- 677 Downloads
This paper proposes an application of the Flexible Interactive Tradeoff (FITradeoff) method for siting healthcare facilities. The selection of the location of complex facilities, as hospitals, can be considered as a multidimensional decision problem for the several issues to be taken into account and, moreover, for the variety of stakeholders that should be involved. The case study under investigation is the location of “La Città della Salute”, a new large healthcare facility in Lombardy Region (Italy). Starting from a cross disciplinary literature review, a multidimensional evaluation framework has been defined and applied to the case study by considering the point of view of one Decision Maker (DM). The application shows that a smaller effort is required from the DM using the FITradeoff method.
KeywordsHealthcare facility location MCDM FITradeoff Decision-making Visualization
This study was partially sponsored by the Brazilian Research Council (CNPq) for which the authors are most grateful.
- 2.Sharifi, M.A., Rodriguez, E.: Design and development of a planning support system for policy formulation in water resource rehabilitation. J. Hydroinformatics 4(3), 157–175 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Capolongo, S., Buffoli, M., Oppio, A.: How to assess the effects of urban plans on environment and health. Territorio 73, 145–151 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Daskin, M.S., Dean, L.K.: Location of Health Care Facilities, pp. 43–76. Kluwer Academic Publisher, Boston (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Noon, C.E., Hankins, C.T.: Spatial data visualization in healthcare: supporting a facility location decision via gis-based market analysis. In: 34th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Murad, A.A.: Using GIS for planning public general hospitals at Jeddah City. Environ. Des. Sci. 3, 3–22 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Chiu, J.E., Tsai, H.H.: Applying analytic hierarchy process to select optimal expansion of hospital location. In: 10th International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management, pp. 603–606 (2013)Google Scholar
- 20.Keeney, R.L., Raiffa, H.: Decision Analysis with Multiple Conflicting Objectives. Wiley & Sons, New York (1976)Google Scholar
- 25.Oppio, A., Buffoli, M., Dell’Ovo, M., Capolongo, S.: Addressing decisions about new hospitals’ siting: a multidimensional evaluation approach. Ann. Ist. Super Sanità 52(1), 78–87 (2016)Google Scholar
- 26.D’Alessandro, D., Buffoli, M., Capasso, L., Fara, G.M., Rebecchi, A., Capolongo, S.: Green areas and public health improving wellbeing and physical activity in the urban context. Epidemiol Prev. 39(5 Suppl 1), 8–13 (2015)Google Scholar
- 28.Dell’Ovo, M., Capolongo, S.: Architectures for health: between historical contexts and suburban areas. Tool to support location strategies. Techne 12, 269–276 (2016)Google Scholar