Power Tree Filter: A Theoretical Framework Linking Shortest Path Filters and Minimum Spanning Tree Filters
Edge-preserving image filtering is an important pre-processing step in many filtering applications. In this article, we analyse the basis of edge-preserving filters and also provide theoretical links between the MST filter, which is a recent state-of-art edge-preserving filter, and filters based on geodesics. We define shortest path filters, which are closely related to adaptive kernel based filters, and show that MST filter is an approximation to the \(\varGamma -\)limit of the shortest path filters. We also propose a different approximation for the \(\varGamma -\)limit that is based on union of all MSTs and show that it yields better results than that of MST approximation by reducing the leaks across object boundaries. We demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed filter in edge-preserving smoothing by comparing it with the tree filter.
KeywordsShort Path Minimum Span Tree Object Boundary Stereo Match Bilateral Filter
Sravan Danda and Aditya Challa are thankful for the financial support provided by the Indian Statistical Institute. B.S. Daya Sagar would like to acknowledge the partial support received from EMR/2015/000853 SERB and ISRO/SSPO/Ch-1/2016-17 ISRO research grants. Laurent Najman would like acknowledge the partial support received from ANR-15-CE40-0006 CoMeDiC and ANR-14-CE27-0001 GRAPHSIP research grants.
- 2.Chang, J.H.R., Wang, Y.C.F.: Propagated image filtering. In: 2015 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), pp. 10–18. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Najman, L.: Extending the PowerWatershed framework thanks to \(\Gamma \)-convergence. Technical report, Université Paris-Est, LIGM, ESIEE Paris (2017). https://hal-upec-upem.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01428875
- 14.Sinop, A.K., Grady, L.: A seeded image segmentation framework unifying graph cuts and random walker which yields a new algorithm. In: 2007 IEEE 11th International Conference on Computer Vision, ICCV 2007, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.StackOverFlow: Cut property. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3327708/minimum-spanning-tree-what-exactly-is-the-cut-property. Accessed 05 Jan 2017
- 17.Stawiaski, J., Meyer, F.: Minimum spanning tree adaptive image filtering. In: 2009 16th IEEE ICIP, pp. 2245–2248. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Tomasi, C., Manduchi, R.: Bilateral filtering for gray and color images. In: 1998 Sixth International Conference on Computer Vision, ICCV 1998, pp. 839–846. IEEE (1998)Google Scholar
- 19.Xu, L., Lu, C., Xu, Y., Jia, J.: Image smoothing via L 0 gradient minimization. ACM Trans. Graph. (TOG) 30, 174 (2011). ACMGoogle Scholar
- 20.Xu, L., Yan, Q., Xia, Y., Jia, J.: Structure extraction from texture via relative total variation. ACM Trans. Graph. (TOG) 31(6), 139 (2012)Google Scholar