Multi-cloud Applications Security Monitoring
- 1.6k Downloads
The issue of data security and privacy in multi-cloud based environments requires different solutions for implementing and enforcing security policies. In these environments, many security aspects must be faced, such as security-by-design, risk management, data privacy and isolation, and vulnerability scans. Moreover, it also becomes necessary to have a system that interrelates and operates all security controls which are configured and executed independently on each component of the application (service) being secured and monitored. In addition, thanks to the large diffusion of cloud computing systems, new attacks are emerging, so threat detection systems play a key role in the security schemes, identifying possible attacks. These systems handle an enormous volume of information as they detect unknown malicious activities by monitoring different events from different points of observation, as well as adapting to new attack strategies and considering techniques to detect malicious behaviors and react accordingly.
To target this issue, we propose in the context of the MUSA EU Horizon 2020 project , a security assurance platform that allows monitoring the multi-cloud application deployed in different Cloud Server Providers (CSPs). It detects potential deviations from security Server Level Agreements (A formal, negotiated document that defines in quantitative and qualitative terms the service being offered to a Cloud Service Client (CSC). For more information see [8, 17].) (SLAs) and triggers countermeasures to enforce security during application runtime.
KeywordsCloud computing Security monitoring Service Level Agreement Detection
The project leading to this paper has received funding from the European Unions Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement No. 644429.
- 1.MUSA Project. http://www.musa-project.eu/. Accessed Jan 2017
- 2.Openstack ceilometer. http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/. Accessed Jan 2017
- 3.OPNFV Doctor. http://wiki.opnfv.org/doctor. Accessed Jan 2017
- 4.Stacktach. http://stacktach.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html. Accessed Jan 2017
- 5.Lifecycle management of service-based applications on multi-clouds: a research roadmap (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Multi-Cloud: expectations and current approaches (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Carlin, A., Hammoudeh, M., Aldabbas, O.: Intrusion detection and countermeasure of virtual cloud systems - state of the art and current challenges. Int. J. Adv. Comput. Sci. Appl. 6(6), 1–15 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Casola, V., Benedictis, A.D., Rak, M., Rios, E.: Security-by-design in clouds: a security-sla driven methodology to build secure cloud applications. Procedia Comput. Sci. 97, 53–62 (2016). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050916320968, 2nd International Conference on Cloud Forward: From Distributed to Complete ComputingCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Collectd. http://collectd.org/. Accessed Jan 2017
- 10.Consul. https://www.consul.io/. Accessed Jan 2017
- 11.Ferry, N., Rossini, A., Chauvel, F., Morin, B.: Towards model-driven provisioning, deployment, monitoring, and adaptation of multi-cloud systems. In: 2013 IEEE Sixth International Conference on Cloud Computing (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Global Inter-cloud Technology Forum: Use Cases and Functional Requirements for Inter-Cloud Computing. Technical report (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Guide, O.S.: http://docs.openstack.org/sec/. Accessed January 2017
- 16.Project, B.: http://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Security/Projects/Bandit. Accessed Jan 2017
- 17.Rios, E., Mallouli, W., Rak, M., Casola, V., Ortiz, A.M.: SLA-driven monitoring of multi-cloud application components using the MUSA framework. In: ICDCS Workshops (2016)Google Scholar
- 18.Zbakh, M., Elmahdi, K., Cherkaoui, R., Enniari, S.: A multi-criteria analysis of intrusion detection architectures in cloud environments. In: 2015 International Conference on Cloud Technologies and Applications (CloudTech), pp. 1–9. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 19.Zeginis, C., Kritikos, K., Garefalakis, P., Konsolaki, K., Magoutis, K., Plexousakis, D.: Towards cross-layer monitoring of multi-cloud service-based applications. In: Lau, K.-K., Lamersdorf, W., Pimentel, E. (eds.) ESOCC 2013. LNCS, vol. 8135, pp. 188–195. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-40651-5_16 CrossRefGoogle Scholar