IMPROOF: Integrated Model Guided Process Optimization of Steam Cracking Furnaces
- 4.2k Downloads
IMPROOF will develop and demonstrate the steam cracking furnace of the 21st century by drastically improving the energy efficiency of the current state-of-the-art, in a cost effective way, while simultaneously reducing emissions of greenhouse gases and NOX per ton of ethylene produced by at least 25%. Therefore, the latest technological innovations in the field of energy efficiency and fouling minimization are implemented and combined, proving that these technologies work properly at TRL 5 and 6 levels. The first steps to reach the ultimate objective, i.e. to deploy the furnace at the demonstrator at commercial scale with the most effective technologies, will be discussed based on novel pilot scale data and modeling results.
KeywordsIndustrial steam cracking furnace design Increased energy efficiency Reduced coke formation Reduced emissions of greenhouse gasses Increased time on stream
The work leading to this invention has received funding from the European Union Horizon H2020 Programme (H2020-SPIRE-04-2016) under grant agreement n°723706.
- Adams, B., Olver, J.: Impact of high-emissivity coatings on process furnace heat transfer. In: AIChE Spring Meeting 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- Albright, L.F., Crynes, B.L., Corcoran, W.H.: Pyrolysis, Theory and Industrial Practice. Academic Press, New York (1983)Google Scholar
- CEFIC: The 2016 Cefic European Facts & Figures (2016). http://www.cefic.org/Facts-and-Figures/. Accessed 27 Oct 2016
- Holcombe, C.E., Chapman, L.R.: High emissivity coating composition and method of use. Google Patents (1999)Google Scholar
- Ren, T., Patel, M.K., Blok, K.: Steam cracking and methane to olefins: Energy use, CO2 emissions and production costs. Energy 33, 817–833 (2008)Google Scholar
- Schietekat, C.U., Van Goethem, M.M., Van Geem, K.T.W., Marin, G.: 3D swirl flow reactor technology for pyrolysis processes: Hydrodynamic and computational fluid dynamic study. In: XX International Conference on Chemical Reactors (2012)Google Scholar
- Van Cauwenberge, D.J., Van Dewalle, L.A., Reyniers, P.A., Van Geem, K.M., Marin, G.B., Floré, J.: Periodic reactive flow simulation: Proof of concept for steam cracking coils. AIChE J. (2016)Google Scholar
- Zimmermann, H., Walzl, R.: Ethylene. In: Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA (2000)Google Scholar