Text Summarization Based on Classification Using ANFIS
The information overload faced by today’s society has created a big challenge for people who want to look for relevant information from the internet. There are a lot of online documents available and digesting such large texts collection is not an easy task. Hence, automatic text summarization is required to automate the process of summarizing text by extracting only the salient information from the documents. In this paper, we propose a text summarization model based on classification using Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System (ANFIS). The model can learn to filter high quality summary sentences. We then compare the performance of our proposed model with the existing approaches which are based on neural network and fuzzy logic techniques. ANFIS was able to alleviate the limitations in the existing approaches and the experimental finding of this study shows that the proposed model yields better results in terms of precision, recall and F-measure on the Document Understanding Conference (DUC) data corpus.
KeywordsText summarization Neural network Fuzzy logic ANFIS
This research work supported by Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka and Ministry of Education, Malaysia under the Research Acculturation Grant Scheme (RAGS) No. RAGS/1/2015/ICT02/FTMK/02/B00124.
- 2.Khan, A., Salim, N., Kumar, Y.J.: Genetic semantic graph approach for multi-document abstractive summarization. In: Fifth International Conference on Digital Information Processing and Communications (ICDIPC), pp. 173–181 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Keyan, M., Srinivasagan, K.: Multi-document and multi-lingual summarization using neural networks. In: International Conference on Recent Trends in Computational Methods, Communication and Controls (ICON3C), pp. 11–14 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Patil, M.P.D., Kulkarni, N.J.: Text summarization using fuzzy logic. Int. J. Innov. Res. Adv. Eng. (IJIRAE) 1(3), 42–45 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Rucha, S., Apte, S.: Improvement of text summarization using fuzzy logic based method. OSR J. Comput. Eng. (IOSRJCE). 5(6), 5–10 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Megala, S.S., Kavitha, A., Marimuthu, A.: Enriching text summarization using fuzzy logic. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Inf. Technol. 5, 863–867 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Sarda, A., Kulkarni, A.: Text summarization using neural network and rhetorical structure theory. Int. J. Adv. Res. Comput. Commun. Engineering, IJARCCE 4(6), 49–52 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Suanmali, L., Salim, N., Binwahlan, M.S.: Fuzzy logic based method for improving text summarization. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Inf. Secur. 2(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Albertos, P., Sala, A.: Fuzzy logic controllers. Advantages and drawbacks. In: VIII International Congress of Automatic Control, vol. 3, pp. 833–844 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Fattah, M.A., Ren, F.: Automatic text summarization. World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. 13, 192–195 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Loganathan, C., Girija, V.: Investigations on hybrid learning in ANFIS. Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl. 4(10), 31–37 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Jiang, J.J., Conrath, D.W.: Semantic similarity based on corpus statistics and lexical taxonomy. In: Proceedings of International Conference Research on Computational Linguistics, pp. 1–15 (1997)Google Scholar
- 16.Moh’d Arikat, Y.: Subtractive neuro-fuzzy modeling techniques applied to short essay auto-grading problem. In: International Conference on Sciences of Electronics, Technologies of Information and Telecommunications (SETIT), pp. 889–895 (2012)Google Scholar