The IPOL Demo System: A Scalable Architecture of Microservices for Reproducible Research
We identified design problems related to the architecture, ergonomy, and performance in the previous version of the Image Processing on Line (IPOL) demonstration system. In order to correct them we moved to an architecture of microservices and performed many refactorings. This article first describes the state of the art in Reproducible Research platforms and explains IPOL in that context. The specific problems which were found are discussed, along with the solutions implemented in the new demo system, and the changes in its architecture with respect to the previous system. Finally, we expose the challenges of the system in the short term.
KeywordsIPOL Reproducible research Research Journal SOA Microservices Service-oriented Platform Continuous integration
This work was partly funded by the European Research Council (advanced grant Twelve Labours), the Office of Naval Research (ONR grand N00014-14-1-0023), and the ANR-DGA project ANR-12-ASTR-0035.
- 1.Limare, N.: Reproducible research, software quality, online interfaces and publishing for image processing. Ph.D. thesis, École normale supérieure de Cachan-ENS Cachan (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Colom, M., Kerautret, B., Limare, N., Monasse, P., Morel, J.-M.: IPOL: a new journal for fully reproducible research; analysis of four years development. In: 2015 7th International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Neuman, S.: Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems. O’Reilly Media (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Lamiroy, B., Lopresti, D.: The DAE platform: a framework for reproducible research in document image analysis. In: Kerautret, B., Colom, M., Monasse, P. (eds.) RRPR 2016. LNCS, vol. 10214, pp. 17–29. Springer, Cham (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Buckheit, J.B., Donoho, D.L.: Wavelab and reproducible research. In: Antoniadis, A., Oppenheim, G. (eds.) Wavelets and Statistics. Springer, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Berners-Lee, T., Fielding, R., Frystyk, H.: Hypertext transfer protocol-HTTP/1.0, RFC 1945, RFC Editor (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Stodden, V.: Enabling reproducible research: open licensing for scientific innovation. Int. J. Commun. Law Policy 13, 1–25 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Fowler, M., Beck, K., Brant, J., Opdyke, W., Roberts, D.: Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Programs. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar