Designing Digital Tools for Physiotherapy
With advances in information and communication technologies (ICT), dramatic changes have been produced in physiotherapy provision. However, low adoption of the developed technologies calls attention for better theoretical model and methods for ICT design, which may fulfill the needs of physiotherapists and their patients. In this work we discuss the framework of designing ICT for physiotherapy based on some results obtained from the perspectives of physiotherapists and patients on electronic health records for physiotherapy. We underscore the importance of considering the context - the conditions in social and physical environment as well as end-users internal conditions to be in place - for a specific physiotherapy process.
KeywordsContext based design Online training Serious games
Work was supported by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia and Instituto de Telecomunicações, project: PTDC/DTP-DES/1661/2012– Electronic Health Records: Needs, Requirements and Barriers for Adoption in Physiotherapy and project: PTDC/DTP-DES/6776/2014.
- 9.Buzan, T.: Mind Map Tutor Handbook. http://www.usingmindmaps.com/support-files/mind-map-tutor-handbook.pdf
- 10.e-Skills in Europe. Portugal Country Report. http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documents/4581
- 12.Santos, O., Lunet, N., do Carmo, O., Ferreira, P.: Prevalence of low health literacy. In: 27th Conference of the European Health Psychology Society, Bordeaux, vol. 28, no. sup. 1, pp. 1–335 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Cialdini, R.: Harnessing the science of persuasion. Harv. Bus. Rev. 79, 72–79 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Postolache, G., Oliveira, R., Moreira., I, Postolache, O.: Why, what and when in-home physiotherapy? In: Graffigna, G., (eds.) Transformative Healthcare Practice through Patient Engagement, pp. 215–246. IGI Global, Hershey (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Mortazavi, B., Nyamathi, S., Lee, S.I., Wilkerson, T., Ghasemzadeh, H., Sarrafzadeh, M.: Near-realistic mobile exergames with wireless wearable sensors. IEEE J. Biomed. Health Inf. 18, 449–456 (2014)Google Scholar
- 21.Postolache, G., Moreira, I., Pedro, L., Oliveira, R.: Implementation of electronic health records in physical therapy. In: 1st Asia-Oceanian Congress for NeuroRehabilitation, Seoul (2015)Google Scholar
- 23.Vreeman, L.J., Taggard, S.L., Rhine, M.D., Worgell, T.W.: Evidence for electronic health record systems in physical therapy association. Phys. Ther. 86, 434–446 (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Terry, A.L., Thorpe, C.F., Giles, G., Brown, J.B., Harris, S.B., Reid, G.J., Thind, A., Stewart, M.: Implementing electronic health records key factors in primary care. Can. Fam. Phys. 54, 730–736 (2008)Google Scholar
- 25.Kaye, R., Kokia, E., Shalev, V., Idar, D., Chinitz, D.: Barriers and success factors in health information technology: a practitioner perspectives. J. Manag. Market. Healthc. 3, 163–175 (2010)Google Scholar