A Petri Net Design and Verification Platform Based on The Scalable and Parallel Architecture: HiPS
- First Online:
This paper proposes an on-the-fly linear temporal logic model checker using state-space generation based on Petri net models. The hierarchical Petri net simulator (HiPS) tool, developed by our research group at Shinshu University, is a design and verification environment for Place/Transition nets and is capable of generating state-space and trace-process graphs. In combination with external tools, HiPS can perform exhaustive model checking for a state space. However, exhaustive model checking is required for generating a complete state space. On-the-fly model checking is an approach for solving the explosion problem to generate a portion of the overall state space by parallelizing the search and generation processes. In this study, we propose a model checker for a Petri net model to concurrently function with state-space generation using an interprocess communication channel. By utilizing the concept of fluency, we implement automata-based model checking for Petri nets. This implementation achieves high-efficiency for on-the-fly verification, which is independent of the verification and state-space generation processes.
KeywordsPetri net Model checking On-the-fly Linear Temporal Logic (LTL) Scalability
- 1.ISO. (1989). Information processing systems – Open systems interconnection – LOTOS: A formal description technique based on the temporal ordering of observational behaviour. Geneve: International Organization for Standardization. Technical Report 8807:1989.Google Scholar
- 2.Hoare, C. A. R. (1978). Communicating sequential processes. Communications of the ACM, 21(8), 666–677. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/359576.359585.
- 5.Westergaard, M., & Verbeek, H. E. CPN tools. http://cpntools.org/.
- 6.Dingle, N., & Knottenbelt, W. Platform independent petri net editor 2. http://pipe2.sourceforge.net/.
- 7.University, S. (2016) Hips – Hierarchical petri net simulator. [Online]. Available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hips-tools/.
- 8.VASY/INRIA. (2015) CADP toolbox. [Online]. Available: http://cadp.inria.fr/.
- 10.Ohta, I., & Wasaki, K. (2013). Model designing using a Petri net tool and state space generation algorithm for post-verification tool. In 12th Forum on Information Technology, FIT2013 (pp. 171–174).Google Scholar
- 11.Schwoon, S., & Esparza, J. (2005). A note on on-the-fly verification algorithms. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems, TACAS2005 (pp. 174–190).Google Scholar
- 12.Giannakopoulou, D., & Magee, J. (2003). Fluent model checking for event-based systems. In Proceedings of the 11th ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering, 2003. (pp. 257–266). ACM.Google Scholar
- 13.Harie, Y., & Wasaki, K. (2015). On-the-fly LTL model checker on the Petri net design tool: HiPS. In 14th Forum on Information Technology, FIT2015 (pp. 139–142).Google Scholar
- 14.Gastin, P., & Oddoux, D. (2001). Fast LTL to büchi automata translation. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Computer Aided Verification, CAV2001 (pp. 53–65).Google Scholar
- 15.Stevens, W. R., Fenner, B., & Rudoff, A. M. (2003). UNIX network programming (Vol. 1, 3rd ed.). Delhi: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- 17.laboratory, S. (2015). Spec patterns. [Online]. Available: http://patterns.projects.cis.ksu.edu/.