The State of America’s Water Resource
Water resources planning and management on the river basin level can be said to have begun in 1965, with passage of the Water Resources Planning Act thereby establishing the Water Resources Council (WRC). The Council released two national assessments of the state of the U.S. water resource, one in 1968 and the second in 1978. This chapter begins with the work of the WRC and takes the story of the state of the resource into the early twenty-first century in same major basins examined by the WRC, and begins a look at the effects of climate change on the sustainability of the resource in the Nation’s major river basins.
KeywordsClimate change Drought Resource planning Recycled water River basins Resource sustainability Water Resource Council Watersheds
- Gellis, A. J. 1985. Water supply in the Northeast: A study in regulatory failure. Ecology Law Review 12(3): 429–79.Google Scholar
- MacDougal, D. W., and Z. A. Kearns. 2014. The Columbia River treaty review: Will the water users’ voices be heard? Marten Law, (November 17). Retrieved April 8, 2016 from http://www.martenlaw.com/newsletter/20141117-columbia-river-treaty-review.
- Reimer, A. 2012. U.S. water policy: Trends and future directions. National Agricultural and Rural Development Policy Center Retrieved December 20, 2015 from www.nardep.info/uploads/WaterPolicy_Reimer.pdf.
- Smith, Scott. 2015. Uranium contaminates Water in Central California. Accessed February 28, 2017 from www.mercurynews.com/2015/12/08/uranium-contaminates-water-in-central-california/.
- Spahr, Norman E., Lori E. Apodaca, Jeffrey R Deacon, Jeffrey B. Bails, Nancy J. Bauch, C. Michelle Smith, and Nancy E. Driver (2000). Water quality in the Upper Colorado River Basin, Colorado, 1996–98: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1214. Retrieved April 3, 2016 from http://pubs.water.usgs.gov/circ1214/
- USBR. 2012. Colorado River basins water supply and demand study. U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation. Retrieved April 10, 2016 from www.usbr.gov/lc/region/programs/crbstudy.html
- USGS. 2013a. Upper colorado river basin study. National Water-Quality Assessment Program. Retrieved April 1, 2016 from http://co.water.usgs.gov/nawga/ucol/
- USGS. 2013b. The importance of ground water in the Great Lakes Region. (U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigations Report 00 – 4008). Retrieved April 7, 2016 from http://water.usgs.gov/ogw/pubs/WRI004008/conditions.htm
- USWRC. 1968. The Nation’s Water Resources, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. Library of Congress Catalog No. 68-62779. Available from Northwestern University libraries.Google Scholar