Benefits of Sustainable Value Management
The combination of the sustainability concept and value management for construction projects will benefit not only the client and project but will also help in generating ideas that will improve the environment and quality of lives of people now and in the future. The benefits include those of sustainable goals and objectives of value management practice. This chapter discusses various direct and indirect benefits resulting from the adoption and application of sustainable value management in construction. There are numerous benefits of sustainable value management but they can only be harnessed if adopted, if the right mix of people is engaged, and if recommendations from the study are implemented accordingly. These therefore become the joint roles of clients, consultants, and other construction project stakeholders in harnessing the benefits of sustainable value management.
KeywordsConstruction project Innovativeness Sustainable construction Sustainable value management Unnecessary cost Value for money Value management
- Aghimien, D. O., & Oke, A. E. (2015). Application of value management to selected construction projects in Nigeria. Developing Country Studies, 5(17), 8–14.Google Scholar
- Al-Yami, A. M. & Price, A. D. (2005). Exploring conceptual linkages between value engineering and sustainable construction. In F. Khosrowshahi (Ed.), 21st Annual ARCOM Conference (pp. 375–384). University of London: Association of Researchers in Construction Management.Google Scholar
- Al-Yousefi, A. S. (2016). The synergy between value engineering & sustainability. Presentation at the 8th World Congress of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Dubai. Retrieved November 14, 2016, from http://www.energyandwateroman.com.
- Roufechael, K. M., Abu Bakar, A. H., & Tabassi, A. A. (2015). Value management and client attitude in developing sustainable construction. Advances in Environmental Biology, 9(5), 4–6.Google Scholar
- Short, C. A., Barett, P., Dye, A., & Sutrisana, M. (2008). Impacts of value engineering on five capital arts projects. Construction Management and Economics, 35(3), 287–315.Google Scholar
- Yekini, A. A., Bello, S. K. & Olaiya, K. A. (2015). Application of value engineering techniques in sustainable product and service design. Science and Engineering Perspectives, 10(Sept), 120–130.Google Scholar