Insights into Deep-Seated Rockslides in Metamorphic Rock Masses: Lessons Learned from Field Surveys, In Situ Investigations and Numerical Modelling
Lessons learned from several case studies of deep-seated rockslides in foliated metamorphic rocks in Tyrol (Austria) are presented. Based on surface and subsurface investigations as well as monitoring and modelling campaigns the main topics are the geometry, structure, kinematics, hydrogeology and geomechanics of deep-seated rockslides. Experience was gained from geological field surveys, monitoring campaigns based on remote sensing and classical geodetic methods, sub-surface investigations by core drillings and drifts, geophysical methods and numerical modelling studies. These insights may help to understand the processes and mechanisms of case studies in similar geological situations where comprehensive investigations are not feasible or new investigation campaigns should be planned.
KeywordsRockslide Geometry Kinematics Hydrogeology Investigation Numerical modelling
This study is supported by TIWAG, alpS GmbH, geo.zt, ILF Consulting Engineers and the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (COMET-program).
- Noverraz F (1996) Sagging or deep-seated creep: fiction or reality? In: Senneset (ed) 7th international symposium on landslides. Balkema, Rotterdam, pp 821–828Google Scholar
- Prager C, Zangerl C, Nagler T (2009) Geological controls on slope deformations in the Köfels rockslide area (Tyrol, Austria). Austrian J Earth Sci 102(2):4–19Google Scholar
- Schneider-Muntau B (2012) Zur Modellierung von Kriechhängen. Dissertation Thesis, University of Innsbruck, AustriaGoogle Scholar
- Strauhal T (2015) Geological-hydrogeological and geomechanical characterisation of deep-seated rockslides in metamorphic rocks. Dissertation Thesis, University of Innsbruck, AustriaGoogle Scholar
- Strauhal T, Prager C, Millen B, Spötl C, Zangerl C, Brandner R (2016b) Aquifer geochemistry of crystalline rocks and Quaternary deposits in a high altitude alpine environment (Kauner Valley, Austria). Austrian J Earth Sci 109(1):29–44Google Scholar
- Zangerl C, Prager C (2008) Influence of geological structures on failure initiation, internal deformation and kinematics of rockslides. In: Proceeding of the 42nd U.S. rock mechanics symposium/2nd U.S.-Canada Rock mechanics symposium, San Francisco, ARMA 08-063, pp 1–13Google Scholar
- Zangerl C, Holzmann M, Perzlmeier S, Strauhal T (2015a) Geomechanics and hydrogeology of deep-seated rock slides in the surroundings of large reservoirs. In: ISRM congress 2015 proceedings of the international symposium on rock mechanics, Montreal, pp 1–9Google Scholar
- Zangerl C, Holzmann M, Perzlmaier S, Engl DA, Strauhal T, Prager C, Steinacher R, Molterer S (2015c) Characterisation and kinematics of deep-seated rockslides in foliated metamorphic rock masses. In: Lollino G et al. (eds) Engineering geology for society and territory, vol 2. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland 2014, pp 571–575Google Scholar