Teaching Note: Case 4: Diageo in Turkey: The Lion’s Milk Versus Global Spirits
Case starts with a global giant acquiring a local giant company. Both companies own some very strong brands. Post-acquisition era demands a new marketing strategy. The defined market, and the nature of competition need to be revisited. Competitive competencies need to be re-identified, in the face of changing economic, political, and taxation conditions in Turkey and abroad.
In addition to many issues following the M&A, our focus is on the market analysis and related decisions surrounding the marketing of the brand portfolio: Whom to target with what brands? Whether Yeni Rakı should continue its local dominancy or is it about time for Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff and Captain Morgan grand-trio to have the lead role? How can Mey Icki may position and grow in the domestic and the global spirits market?
The instructor should start by directing the question that the two managers are facing in the case: What should be the future direction of Mey/Diageo both in Turkey and internationally? Here some students are expected to favour continuation of the Yeni Rakı marketing investments, while others might favour Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff vodka or Captain Morgan’s. This icebreaker entry would facilitate the discussion of the questions listed in the teaching note section.
KeywordsMarketing Strategy Market Analysis Compound Annual Growth Rate Strong Brand Brand Strength
- Cihan. (2015). Two people die due to bootleg alcohol in western Turkey. Retrieved from http://en.cihan.com.tr/en/two-people-die-due-to-bootleg-alcohol-in-western-turkey-1960348.htm
- Cimilluca, D. (2011). Diageo to Buy Turkey’s Mey Içki. Retrieved from http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704271104576156612353607144
- Diageo. (2011). Acquisition of Mey İçki. Retrieved from http://www.diageo.com/Lists/Resources/Attachments/738/Diageo%20Announcement%20-%20FINAL.pdf
- Finkel, I., & Buckley, T. (2015). Diageo’s Turkish unit under investigation by competition board. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-11/diageo-s-turkish-unit-under-investigation-by-competition-board
- Fletcher, C. (2011). Diageo to Buy Turkish Distiller Mey Icki for $2.1 Billion. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-02-20/diageo-said-to-be-close-to-buying-distillery-mey-icki-of-turkey
- Harvey, B. (2011). Counterfeit alcohol kills Russian guide in Turkey, Vatan Says. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-05-31/counterfeit-alcohol-kills-russian-guide-in-turkey-vatan-says
- Harvey, B., & Fletcher, C. (2013). Diageo seeks Turkey drink limit balance after Mey Icki purchase. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-05-16/diageo-seeks-turkey-drink-limit-balance-after-mey-icki-purchase
- Menezes, I. (2013). Increasing our presence in the emerging markets. Retrieved from https://www.diageo.com/Lists/Resources/Attachments/1601/Review of our acquisitions in the emerging markets_transcripts.pdf
- Mindreader. (2015). Turkey competition board opens probe against alcoholic beverage company. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7h6C2Eigk
- Morgan, A. (2012). Morgan Says Mey Icki Gives Diageo a Platform in Turkey. Bloomberg Business.Google Scholar
- O’Toole, P. (2005). Fake alcohol causes Turkey deaths. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4336005.stm
- OECD. (2015). Indicators, innovation and technology. Retrieved from https://data.oecd.org/searchresults/?r=%2Bf%2Ftype%2Findicators&r=%2Bf%2Ftopics_en%2Finnovation+and+technology
- Schweizer, K., & Hacaoglu, S. (2013). Turkey’s liquor market at risk. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-06-20/turkeys-liquor-market-at-risk
- Sonne, P., & Cimilluca, D. (2011). Diageo Takes Gamble on Turkey With Mey Buy. Retrieved from http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704476604576158183882692162
- Stock, K. (2013). Diageo’s $2.1 Billion Turkish Hangover. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-06-24/diageos-2-dot-1-billion-turkish-hangover
- Taylor, P. (2015). Counterfeit alcohol kills 19 in Istanbul. Retrieved from http://www.securingindustry.com/food-and-beverage/counterfeit-alcohol-kills-19-in-istanbul/s104/a2574/%20-%20.VmmO8bh97Dc
- Walsh, P. (2011). Diageo Focused on Emerging-Market Expansion. Bloomberg Business.Google Scholar
- Walsh, P., Morgan, A., & Mahlan, D. (2011). Diageo to acquire Mey Icki Q&A: Diageo.Google Scholar