Seismic Characteristics of the Vulcanian Explosions from the 2003–2005 Eruption at Colima Volcano, Mexico
Colima Volcano (19.512°N, 103.617°W, 4000 m.a.s.l.), located on the border between the states of Jalisco and Colima in western Mexico, is the most active volcano in the country. Its activity has taken place through diverse styles of eruption, from very explosive to effusive. In the last decades it has presented frequent vulcanian eruptions with episodes of dome construction–destruction. Four of these cycles occurred from 1990 to 2005, the last one from July 2003 to September 2005. We focus on this last period, for which we analyzed seismic phases and coupled pressure airwaves from high dynamic range seismograms, both in the time and frequency domains, to determine characteristic features, propagation velocities, and origin times for both deep seismic sources and the associated explosions. The results show that the sources of the P-waves associated with the explosions are not located at the summit, but instead at different shallow locations for the different explosions, suggesting the presence of various magmatic pathways within the volcano.
KeywordsColima Volcano Vulcanian explosions Magmatic pathways Volcanic seismic signals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Díaz, S. (1906). Efemérides del Volcán de Colima, Observatorios de Zapotlan y Colima, de 1893 a 1905. Imprenta y Fototipia de la Secretaría de Fomento. MEXICO, 199 pp.Google Scholar
- McNutt, SR, (1986). Observations and Analisys of B-Type earthquakes, Explosions, and Volcanic Tremor at Pavlof Volcano, Alaska. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 76, 153–175.Google Scholar
- Métaxian, J.P., O’Brien, G.S., Bean, C.J., Valette, B. and Mora, M. (2009). Locating volcano-seismic signals in the presence of rough topography: wave simulations on Arenal volcano, Costa Rica. Geophys. J. Inter. 179–3, 1547–1557.Google Scholar
- Luhr J and Carmichel I (1990). Petrological monitoring of cyclical eruptive activity at Volcán Colima, México. J. Volcanol. Geoth. Res. 35: 335–348.Google Scholar
- Morrisey M and Mastin L (2000). Vulcanian eruptions. In Encyclopedia of Volcanoes, H. Sigurdsson (Editor), Academic Press, New York, pp 463–475.Google Scholar
- Núñez-Cornú, F.J., Suárez-Plascencia, C., Rutz-López, M., Vargas-Bracamontes, D., Sánchez, J.J., (2010). Comparison of Seismic Characteristics of Four Cycles of Dome Growth and Destruction at Colima Volcano, Mexico, from 1991 to 2004. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 100, 5A, 1904–1927. doi: 10.1785/0120080356.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Robin, C., Moussand, P., Camus, G., Cantagrel, J., Gourgand, A. and Vicent, P. (1987). Eruptive History of Colima Volcanic Complex (Mexico). J. Volcanol. Geoth. Res. 50, 99–113.Google Scholar