A Tutorial on Machine Learning and Data Science Tools with Python
In this tutorial, we will provide an introduction to the main Python software tools used for applying machine learning techniques to medical data. The focus will be on open-source software that is freely available and is cross platform. To aid the learning experience, a companion GitHub repository is available so that you can follow the examples contained in this paper interactively using Jupyter notebooks. The notebooks will be more exhaustive than what is contained in this chapter, and will focus on medical datasets and healthcare problems. Briefly, this tutorial will first introduce Python as a language, and then describe some of the lower level, general matrix and data structure packages that are popular in the machine learning and data science communities, such as NumPy and Pandas. From there, we will move to dedicated machine learning software, such as SciKit-Learn. Finally we will introduce the Keras deep learning and neural networks library. The emphasis of this paper is readability, with as little jargon used as possible. No previous experience with machine learning is assumed. We will use openly available medical datasets throughout.
KeywordsMachine learning Deep learning Neural networks Tools Languages Python
We would like to thank the two reviewers for their suggestions and input which helped improve this tutorial.
- 6.Holmes, G., Donkin, A., Witten, I.H.: Weka: a machine learning workbench. In: Proceedings of the 1994 Second Australian and New Zealand Conference on Intelligent Information Systems, pp. 357–361. IEEE (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Guo, P.: Python is Now the Most Popular Introductory Teaching Language at Top U.S. Universities, July 2014. http://cacm.acm.org/blogs/blog-cacm/176450-python-is-now-the-most-popular-introductory-teaching-language-at-top-u-s-universities
- 9.McKinney, W.: Python for data analysis. O’Reilly (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Bergstra, J., Breuleux, O., Bastien, F., Lamblin, P., Pascanu, R., Desjardins, G., Turian, J., Warde-Farley, D., Bengio, Y.: Theano: A CPU and GPU math compiler in python. In: Procedings of the 9th Python in Science Conference (SCIPY 2010), pp. 1–7 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Jia, Y., Shelhamer, E., Donahue, J., Karayev, S., Long, J., Girshick, R., Guadarrama, S., Darrell, T.: Caffe: convolutional architecture for fast feature embedding. arXiv preprint arXiv:1408.5093 (2014)
- 14.Cireşan, D.C., Giusti, A., Gambardella, L.M., Schmidhuber, J.: Mitosis detection in breast cancer histology images with deep neural networks. In: Mori, K., Sakuma, I., Sato, Y., Barillot, C., Navab, N. (eds.) MICCAI 2013. LNCS, vol. 8150, pp. 411–418. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-40763-5_51 CrossRefGoogle Scholar