Designing of Ontology for Domain Vocabulary on Agriculture Activity Ontology (AAO) and a Lesson Learned
This paper proposes Agriculture Activity Ontology (AAO) as a basis of the core vocabulary of agricultural activity. Since concepts of agriculture activities are formed by the various context such as purpose, means, crop, and field, we organize the agriculture activity ontology as a hierarchy of concepts discriminated by various properties such as purpose, means, crop and field. The vocabulary of agricultural activity is then defined as the subset of the ontology. Since the ontology is consistent, extendable, and capable of some inferences thanks to Description Logics, so the vocabulary inherits these features. The vocabulary is also linked to existing vocabularies such as AGROVOC. It is expected to use in the data format in the agricultural IT system. The vocabulary is adopted as the part of “the guideline for agriculture activity names for agriculture IT systems” issued by Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF), Japan. Also we investigated the usefulness of the ontology as the method for defining the domain vocabulary.
KeywordsOntology Agriculture Agronomic sciences Knowledge representation Core vocabulary Vocabulary management
This work was supported by Council for Science, Technology and Innovation (CSTI), Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program (SIP), “Technologies for creating next-generation agriculture, forestry and fisheries” (funding agency: Bio-oriented Technology Research Advancement Institution, NARO).
- 1.AGROVOC Multilingual agricultural thesaurus. Subsequences. J. Mol. Biol. 147, 195–197 (1981). http://aims.fao.org/vest-registry/vocabularies/agrovoc-multilingual-agricultural-thesaurus
- 3.Riesbeck, Christopher K., Roger C. Schank, Inside Case-Based Reasoning, ISBN 0-89856-767-6, LEA (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.OWL Web Ontology Language Guide, W3C Recommendation 10, February 2004 https://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/
- 6.Koide, S.: Theory and implementation of object oriented semantic web language Dr.thesis, Department Informatics School of Multidisciplinary Sciences, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies (SOKENDAI) (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.RDF 1.1 Turtle, Terse RDF Triple Language, W3C Recommendation 25, February 2014. https://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/
- 8.Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (MAFF), Japan: the guideline for agriculture activity names for agriculture IT systems (2016). http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/singi/it2/senmon_bunka/shiryo/shiryo04.pdf (in japanese)