Towards Computer Game Research Area in Russia
- First Online:
Computer games are the new research theme for social scientists and humanitarians with increased interest over the past 10–15 years. To evaluate the dynamics of research interest to the different thematic aspects of computer games expansion we made the review of the Russian scientific journals for the period 2005–2016 by the e-Library «Humanitariana» having the function of a flexible thematic full-text search. This information system is developed at the ITMO University. We used the methods of frequency-oriented search. We analyzed material of articles (N = 601) which were placed on the portal e-LIBRARY (http://elibrary.ru/).
We based on the idea that the language of scientific publications as well as the mass media language is included in the formation of the “agenda-setting”. Scientific agenda manifested in the fact that the importance of certain issues, ideas, approaches were determined by the frequency of their reference in journal publications. It creates a set of scientific topics that are understood as the most important by research community.
Firstly, our results allow to see “top concepts” or “hot zone” as a set of burning issues reflecting the specificity of texts devoted to computer games. Secondly, we identified meaningful groups and analyzed their composition in denotative and connotative aspects in the set of top concepts. Third, we examined the dynamics of the use of terms for years, such as “addiction”, “child”, “teenager”, “education”, it helps to interpret the development of computer games research subject. In conclusion we discussed lack in area of Russian computer games studies.
KeywordsComputer games Scientific review Content analysis Russian scientific journals
- 1.Belousov, A.D.: Priznaki i prediktory vysokoy uvlechennosti nesovershennoletnikh komp’yuternymi igrami [Characteristics and predictors of teenager obsession with computer games]. Prikladnaya yuridicheskaya psikhologiya [Applied juridical psychology] 1, 164–173 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Belyantsev, A.E., Gershteyn, I.Z.: Obraz strany cherez komp’yuternuyu igru: istoriko-politicheskiy aspect [The image of the country through a computer game: historical-political aspect]. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo [Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University named after N. Lobachevsky] 6, 279–283 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Federal’naya tselevaya programma “Razvitie edinoy obrazovatel’noy informatsionnoy sredy (2001–2005 gody)” [The Federal target program “Development of United educational information environment (2001–2005)”]. Moscow: The government of the Russian Federation. http://www.ict.edu.ru/lib/index.php?id_res=3352/
- 4.GameStudies.ru. http://gamestudies.ru/
- 5.Garipov, L.F.: Formirovanie kul’tury dosuga mladshikh shkol’nikov v protsesse komp’yuternykh igr: dis. … kand. ped. nauk [The creation of a culture of leisure of younger schoolchildren in the process of computer games: Ph.D. thesis]. Sholokhov Moscow State University for Humanities, Moscow (2015, unpublished)Google Scholar
- 6.Gutman, I.E.: Komp’yuternye virtual’nye igry: dis…. kand. filos. nauk. [Computer virtual games: Ph.D. thesis]. Saint Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg (2009, unpublished)Google Scholar
- 7.Media Philosophy Research Center. O proekte “Laboratoriya issledovaniya komp’yuternykh igr” [About the project “Laboratory of computer game studies”]. http://mediaphilosophy.ru/liki/about/
- 8.Moscow Game Center. https://vk.com/moscowgamecenter/
- 9.Omel’chenko, N.V.: Lichnostnye osobennosti igrayushchikh v komp’yuternye igry: dis…. kand. psikhol. nauk [Personal characteristics of computer games players: Ph.D. thesis]. Kuban State University, Krasnodar (2011, unpublished)Google Scholar
- 10.Sankt-Peterburgskiy gosudarstvennyy universitet, yuridicheskiy fakul’tet. Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya “Pravovoe regulirovanie komp’yuternykh igr: problemy teorii i praktiki”, 30 sentyabrya 2015 [International scientific-practical conference “Legal regulation of computer games: issues of theory and practice”, 30 September 2015]. http://law.spbu.ru/aboutfaculty/video/conferences/15-09-30/aaf54d39-1bfe-47b0-aa40-ed4961850d06.aspx/
- 11.Vertushinskiy, A.S.: To play game studies press the START button. Logos 25(1), 41–60 (2015)Google Scholar