The effective flock control by two sheepdogs
This paper concerns with the shepherding problem in which a small number of sheepdogs guide a large number of sheep to the target position. A research of a swarm control by external force with a small number of leader is less popular than modeling and simulation of swarm behavior. If we control a flock by comparatively simple systems, we expect to apply the technique such as constructing robots which prevent the spread of oil in sea or prevent the forest fires. In the previous research, it has been shown that sheepdogs use two rules to herd sheep. We come up with a new method with two sheepdogs which share the two rules respectively. Our method is compared with previously proposed methods using computer simulations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sakiko Hayashi, Kaoru Fujioka, A study on the efficient flock management by multi-agent systems (in Japanese), In Proc. The 78th National Convention of IPSJ, pp. 2-379–2-380, 2016.Google Scholar
- 2.Jyh-Ming Lien, Burchan O. Bayazit, Ross T. Sowell, Samuel Rodriguez, Nancy M. Amato, Shepherding Behaviors, In Proc. IEEE ICRA’04, pp. 4159–4164, 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.Jyh-Ming Lien, Samuel Rodriguez, Jean-Phillipe Malric, Nancy M. Amato, Shepherding behaviors with multiple shepherds, In Proc. IEEE ICRA’05, pp. 3402–3407, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.Reynolds, Craig W., Flocks, herds and schools: A distributed behavioral model, SIGGRAPH Comput. Graph., Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 25–34, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Yuichiro Sueoka, Takuto Kita, Masato Ishikawa, Yasuhiro Sugimoto and Koichi Osuka, Harnessing control and performance analysis for sheepdog system: approach from spatial discretization (in Japanese), Transactions of the JSME, Vol. 80, No. 809, pp. 1–314, 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.Strömbom, Daniel, Richard P. Mann, Alan M. Wilson, Stephen Hailes, Jennifer Morton, David J. T. Sumpter, Andrew J. King, Solving the shepherding problem: heuristics for herding autonomous, interacting agents, Journal of The Royal Society Interface, Vol. 11, No. 100, 2014.Google Scholar
- 7.Richard T. Vaughan, Neil Sumpter, Jane V. Henderson, Andy Frost, Stephen Cameron, Experiments in Automatic Flock Control, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 31, pp.109-117, 2000.Google Scholar